Mustangs Spoil Homecoming Game for Barons

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The Mustangs’ Football Team got their fourth straight win after defeating Bonita Vista at their homecoming game with a score of 61-21. It was another impressive victory for the team according to Christensen and now finds themselves first in League.

It was a great team effort according to head coach Lance Christensen. The first quarter ended with both teams tied 14-14. However, the Mustangs began to pull away from the Barons, scoring 47 points in the last three quarters, while only allowing the Barons to only score once. It was a game to remember as the odds were stacked against them being Bonita’s Homecoming Game and having a large turnout on Bonita’s side. However, the Mustangs managed to overcome this obstacle and won their third League game.

“The boys did a really good job especially know it was [Bonita’s] homecoming game,” said Christensen. “They surprised us with an onside kick early and started off with the lead but we found a way to rally back and bounced back in the second half, so I’m pleased with the victory.”

According to ORHS Senior and Inside Linebacker, Alex King, the boys proved why they are on top in League. The team made minimal errors, and both the offense and the defense played phenomenally. The win felt satisfying according to Ta’a, since it was a win against a team who desperately needed this win.

“It was a good game on our part,” said King. “We started rough trailing against Bonita in the start, but we recouped and started clicking due to everyone doing their job and assignment.”

King believes this season has been one of their best in a while. Last year, the team had a mediocre season finishing 4-8 overall and 1-3 in League. This year, the team is experiencing a resurgence to their program as the Mustangs are currently at the top of the standings in League. Both sides of the team have drastically improved and the emergence of young talent have contributed to their success.

“Our season has been great so far,” said King. “We’ve been doing well this year, executing during games, recovering from losses earlier in the season, and we’re at the verge of making school history, as we’re close to bringing a banner for the Ranch.”

The boys have a bye this week, so they won’t have a matchup this week. However, after the bye the game plan for next week is straightforward: beat Mater Dei. Mater Dei is 4-4 overall and 1-1 in League. The Crusaders have proven to be a juggernaut in League over the past few years but Christensen is confident that the Mustangs can contain Mater Dei.

“We’re definitely going to enjoy a well-deserved bye this week,” said Christensen. “But we also need to stay up and focus on getting that victory next week. If all goes according to plan, for the first time in school history, we will go 4-0 in league and win an outright in the Mesa League Championships.”

The matchup will take place Friday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m. on Mater Dei’s field. The Mustangs hope to withstand the Crusaders and hold their spot as the top team in league.