Television Content Has Evolved

From Star Trek and Mash to The Fresh Prince and The Office, television has evolved over time.

Isaac Ochoa, News editor

T.V. shows since arrival have become an essential piece of American culture. From M*A*S*H* to Breaking Bad and The Cosby Show to Blackish, television reaches out to all different audiences. Through each decade television has evolved from a predominantly white culture to an abundance of different cultures. Each generation and race has their own stories and social realities that T.V. allows to be told. At an increasing rate of different backgrounds in the industry this now gives new opportunities to all ages and backgrounds across the world.

From the start, white culture was dominant. During the late 40s and through the 50s the oppression of “colored” people was evident on every aspect of society. The popular shows were targeted toward the white consensus culture of the time. The popular show, The Texaco Star Theatre with stars such as Milton Berle and Ronald Reagan, was aimed at the white audience touching upon humor of the household. From 1948 to 1960 the “Golden Age of T.V.” swept the first generation T.V. viewers.

Carried on into the 60s the white audience was still the main target of the T.V. industry. This era brought about many different genres of T.V. shows. The Addams Family, Star Trek and The Beverly Hillbillies are all popular shows of the 60s. These shows generally targeted white culture but adding a variety of genre ranging from Sci-Fi to comedy expanding the T.V. culture and industry.

The 70s is when the industry took a drastic change. Due to the Civil Rights Movements during the 60s the black audience was finally targeted. The first all-black shows The Jeffersons and Good Times marked their debuts highlighting the struggles and humor of family life in the black culture. This sparked a revolution in T.V. history as a new generation and culture emerged. The white audience was still targeted as classics such as The Brady Bunch and All In the Family kept the industry booming and the spirit alive.

The 80s and 90s was the norm for different genres and cultures of shows to be popular. Popular black cultured shows such as The Bill Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bell-Air and Family Matters left their mark in T.V. history as they all introduced and expressed the realities and lifestyle of the black culture which evolved and progressed T.V. The white targeted shows such as the classic M*A*S*H* and Full House kept good shows alive and the focus of everyday struggles and dramatic situations.

From 2000 and on, T.V. Shows targeting all different cultures was the usual aspect of what certain shows are about. A mixture of different cultures in a variety of shows allowed for less of a focus on all cultured casts for certain genres. Joining the picture was the Latino culture. In popular shows such as Breaking Bad which involved the Latino culture as a main part of the show. The first primarily full Latino cast was for the George Lopez show which depicted the life of blue collar Mexican-American.

The evolution of T.V. Shows is something that has expanded and benefited the industry and also the culture around it. With shows like The Office which has various cultures and races in its cast conveys the drastic change from the generally all white audience and casts at the beginning of T.V. shows. With change brings new opportunity for all. No matter the origin, all races and cultures seek equal opportunity. With one of the main cultures in western society increasingly integrating, this can be a reality for many. Students, young adults and millennials now have an increasingly higher chance of making it in the T.V. industry.