Battle Trophy Returns to the Ranch

Team members say this was more than a win but to also honor former Principal Jose Brosz.

The Varsity Football team celebrates with the Battle of the Os trophy after defeating Olympian.

Photo Courtesy of Thomas Bryant

Photo Courtesy of Thomas Bryant

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

This past Friday, The ORHS Football Team won the “Battle of the O’s,” defeating longtime rivals Olympian with a score of 35-23. According to the team, the victory was more than just a “win in the books,” but it was a win to honor former principal, Mr.Brosz.

The team knew how important this game heading into the week, according to ORHS head coach Lance Christensen. The game was not only a battle for pride but it was to establish dominance in the Metro-Mesa league conference. Otay is currently in first place in league with a record of 5-3.

“This game had a lot of implications in terms of pride and standings in league,” said Christensen. “We knew that Olympian has a good football program and this will be a critical game for us to take over league. And play for the championship”

And the team’s mentality showed last week. Christensen was thrilled about how the team performed against Olympian. The mustangs were down 23-7 at halftime but the tide began to change for Otay in the second half.

“I was really happy,” said Christensen. “We were down but the boys never quit. They never quit, they believed they can get it done. They fought and found a way to get the win.”

ORHS Co-captain and Senior Faufano Autele put up a phenomenal performance against their rivals. Being an important game for the mustangs and ending the game in remarkable fashion, made this game “one to remember.”

“It was Awesome.” said Autele. “We were faced with adversity in the early part of the game. I know we would be fine, but initially I thought it will be a struggle for us, but we never quit and we weren’t discouraged. In the halftime, we realized that Olympian was not special, but just another opponent. They put their jerseys and pants the same way, they don’t do backflips on the field.”

This win against Olympian meant a lot the team, according to Autele. They proved all the doubters that their recent win were just luck. Many of the spectators believed the mustangs will have no chance to beat the talented eagles. However, they proved them wrong as Mr. Brosz was a source of inspiration for the Mustang’s victory.

“Many believed our win against Eastlake was a fluke, thinking we cannot beat another talented team like Olympian,” said Autele. “But we came out victorious and the win was a dedication to Mr. Brosz. We knew he would want us to succeed and take the league championships back to the Ranch, so we vowed to dedicate this season to Brosz.”

The mustangs will play another league opponent this week, Bonita Vista. The game will take place at Southwestern College at 7 p.m. The team hopes to continue this win streak and advance to 6-3.