Why Students Need Career Classes

Cristina Sandoval, Staff Reporter

High schools need career classes students can take so they can learn the core subjects as well as skills they need for jobs in the future, they can be better prepared for the real world, and be more interested and motivated to go to school.  

College and technical education (CTE) incorporate skills needed in the labor market with college preparedness classes. Activities include specific career-oriented classes and internships, apprenticeships and in-school programs designed to foster work readiness. 

According to Brookings.edu, “For non-college-bound students, CTE can provide hands-on training that translates directly to attractive careers upon graduation. Work-related or internship-like experiences that are often a part of CTE can teach students the ‘soft skills’ necessary in the labor market.”  

This is important because many students after high school are at a loss of what to do if they do not want to go to college and if high schools had more CTE classes, students will be better prepared and have a better idea of what they want to do.  

According to Brookings.edu, “Finally, by integrating academic skills into a ‘real world’ context, advocates claim that CTE can motivate students to attend school more frequently and be more engaged, and therefore improve core academic skills.” 

Students complain every day about not wanting to go to school because it‘s “boring” and “too hard” but having classes that the students want as a job in the future will make it more interesting and kids will actually look forward to going to school.  

Instead of being forced to take a language or pushed to take an AP class that will give you little college credit anyway, students should be able to take classes that relates directly to their career. 

Here at Otay we have a few career pathway classes, such as Into to Legal Systems and CTE Sports Medicine but that only touches two future careers. We need more that range from business, to nursing, to teaching to entrepreneurs.  

It’s important because students need help in deciding and figuring out what they want to do and that needs to be started with career classes in high school. Students will come out of these classes better prepared and with a higher chance of getting a job and a higher percentage of graduating college.