Schools are underfunded. Here’s why

Jaiber Jones, Staff Reporter

Ever since the 2008 financial crash, schools have cut programs deemed unworthy to the education of a student. And although the government says the schools are getting enough money that statement is far from the truth. Many teachers are complaining about a lack of wages, supplies, and classes being constantly cut which damages paychecks. The reason schools across the money are underfunded is because of other government priorities, too many people wanting the same job, and education is expensive.  

To continue, the federal and state governments have other priorities deemed more important than education. For example, according to https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66 , although across the United States $634 billion dollars are spent for education the military uses $601 billion dollars across the country. And then there is the issues of helping the homeless, keeping up infrastructure, sending money to the federal government, and spending money on other topics. Then there is also to consider many states that are still suffering from the 2008 financial crash. Arizona as of the writing of this opinion is currently dealing with teachers wanting higher wages and a strike has ensued. Much of their wages and savings were gone almost overnight because of the financial crisis. The government is currently focusing on less important matters such as the president and Russia. Those issues matter but what about the teachers who should be teaching students that are instead on a strike and making kids stay home.  

Many schools have teachers teaching the exact same thing. Having maybe 3 or 4 teachers the same thing is okay for a time but when 10 or 12 are teaching it, that is a big waste of money of the school’s budget. It also creates a headache for the state and taxpayers because each teacher wants to be paid their wages and having that many teachers making several thousand dollars a year times how many people are working is a lot of money. These teachers could be teaching different things but because of schools cutting classes, many teachers have to find something new to teach which inevitably leads to a problem. Having to much of a good thing will make that good thing bad.  

Education is not cheap. Each student’s family spends over $12,000 for the student to get an education according to https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66. Most of that money ($11,222 to be exact) is spent on salaries, supplies, and certain services by schools across the country. Now imagine that each school year, the amount of money spent on education is steadily increasing. This is due to rising costs of supplies and wages. And where does all the money spent by parents go to. It seems to just vanish into paying wages, supplies, and services for students.   

In conclusion, schools are underfunded because of other government priorities or rather focusing on other subjects, too many teachers teaching the same subject, and how expensive education has been getting over years. This under funding of schools musn’t continue. If it continues at this rate, it will soon be a question of “should students go to school” and many children won’t be able to go to school without government aid or in other words a loan. These loans often bury people in debt for many decades and some people never pay it off. If people can find a way to turn this around, schools could start to receive more than enough funding for schools and even bring back programs that had to be cut because the money disappeared.  But it will only work if people can stop bickering about how to fund schools and actually start funding them. And until that happens schools will continue to be underfunded. That must not be allowed to continue.