Why We Need Career Classes

Jazzy Tompkins, Staff Reporter

Students ask, “When are we ever gonna use this?” throughout the courses they are either currently taking or were forced to take. Most of the times, teachers and school counselors respond to them with, “Maybe when you get to the university.” depending on the classes, maybe not at all. Students should have the option of classes that explore careers that most do have a passion for and be more prepared for the future. 

According to edexcellence.net, “Students learn skills that will help them prepare for stable careers and success in a modern, global, and competitive economy. A student who wants a future in architecture doesn’t question his first drafting course in high school. One interested in aerospace sees value in her introduction to engineering design class. An aspiring medical professional is enthusiastic, not indifferent, about high school anatomy.”  

Students wait until they get to college to choose a career that interests them and that’s too late for them. If high schools offered more beneficial CTE classes, then they can start and have time to change what they want to do. CTE classes have a great exposure to students that are more likely to graduate from high school, enroll in a two-year college, be employed and earn higher wages. As stated in edexcellence.net, “CTE is not a path way from college: Students taking more CTE classes are just as likely to pursue a four year degree as their peers.” 

High school is the time to learn about things that will benefit you for the future. Career Technical Education classes has been offered to high school students. At Otay Ranch High School, ninth and tenth graders are offered Introduction to DesignIntro to Robotics, Intro to Legal Systems and CTE Sports Medicine 1. While eleventh and twelfth graders are offered Introduction to Design, Digital Electronics HN, Intro to Robotics, Intro to Legal Systems, CTE Criminal Justice Careers, Found of Legal Practices and CTE Sports Medicine 1,2 and 3.  

Once students take a CTE class in high school that interests them, they will be prepared for college education and grow to be better at the job they would like to do. Offering more CTE classes would make a great impact for high school students and having internships that will motivate students to participate.  

Some colleges count CTE classes as college credit and can help towards the career they are trying to pursue. Colleges require students to take general education development that are more skilled than what high school goes over. If colleges could combine the GED’s with CTE, it will help students get through school faster and take the correct CTE classes towards their degree. The skills that students learn, increase their chances at higher achievements in english, math and science based classes. CTE classes teach students how to deal with work related skills and how to deal with professional jobs.