Senior Checklist

Assad Khalilzadeh, Staff Reporter

“Seniors you have … school days left,” is something that Mr. Kray has been saying at the end of the weekly Friday morning intercom for months. With these days dwindling down seniors are excited about many things like Prom and Grad Nite, but most are forgetting about other more important things like the senior checklist.

The Senior Checklist is something that seniors get signed off by the Librarian, their AP, the ASB and their Counselor. The importance of the list is to make sure that seniors have nothing looming over their heads so that they have met all of the graduation requirements. The checklist will be due before March 31st as that is the last school day for seniors.

To receive the Librarian’s signature you’ll need to make sure that you have returned all books you’ve checked out, including textbooks, novels, and ACT/SAT practices. Another thing is to make sure that if you’ve ever done damage or lost a book, that you talk to the librarian, Mr. Pomatto, to see if you can remedy that asap so you can get signed off. 

“I can not sign that senior checklist until every item has been returned to the library in books, novels, and if you don’t have any technology hold like a cracked iPad screen.” said Pomatto. 

Assistant Principals are looking at attendance issues and disciplinary issues as they’ll be working with the attendance coordinators Mr. Flores and Ms. Glasco. They’re doing so to make sure there are no extensive problems like being on the non-privilege list for unattended saturday schools or being truant. 

“We’re looking primarily at disciplinary issues,” states Assistant Principal Mrs. Kray “So if you have no saturday schools, you’ve completed all the things you need to do we just sign you off” 

The ASB will take care of expenses for athletes if they have anything unpaid for like a jersey, jacket, or t-shirt. If you have nothing unpaid for than Mr. Nafarrete will just sign your sheet and send you on your way. 

The last person that will sign it off is your counselor, your counselor will do a grade and credit check on your high school career. They will also be looking to see if you’ve done your community service to match the graduation requirements.  

“So the things that we’re looking for are have they met all the graduation requirements necessary for a diploma in the Sweetwater union high school district,” said Mr. Santana, head counselor. 

The benefits of getting it done sooner will be that you’ll be able to avoid the huge rush of students everyone that needs to sign will receive at the last moment. Just do not lose the paper or you’ll have to get them to sign it all over again. Seniors when you’re given the checklist, make sure to try and get it signed off asap.