Boys Lacrosse

Photo taken by Nicholas Flores' mom

Photo taken by Nicholas Flores' mom

Photo taken by Nicholas Flores' mom

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The Otay Ranch Lacrosse Team is 7-4 overall and 3-3 in league play. The team is lead by Coach Tom Pineda, who is in his first year at The Ranch. The Mustangs currently stand second in Mesa League play behind Eastlake Titans. This is a great season for the Mustangs compared to last year’s finish at 7-12 overall and third in Mesa League play. 

The team has high hopes for this season and finding the groove with a new head coach was the starting point. After three head coach changes in the last 4 seasons adapting is nothing new to the seniors on the team.  

“Chemistry has been a big thing, we’ve played together for four years and the seniors trust one another whenever we’re on the field. We’ve been more ambitious than years past, but we don’t have same coach which has hurt us because we have a new one almost every year,” said Alex King, Senior Defensive Pole. 

After adjusting to new changes, executing was the next task for the boys. All the while sticking to the team’s traditional play style. Racking up high scoring victories over divisional opponents, it allowed for the team to find their identity.   

“Our defense is the heart of the team while Jacob is the offensive motor. We’re able to feed off momentum very well,” said Andrew Page, Senior defensive pole. 

The team has set high goals for the season. Although winning banner is out of the question, CIF playoffs are still on the list. Being in CIF SDS Division II the boys feel they can achieve just about anything.  

“CIF is always a dream and come playoff time any team, no matter the seed, can lose. It’s a fair game,” said Page. 

Although the success is evident, the Mustangs look to improve in any way. The struggle the team has faced is closing out games. Versus El Capitan Vaqueros the Mustangs let up a 3 goal lead in the last minute costing their first loss of the season, 11-10. In their First game against Eastlake Titans, the Mustangs let up a 6 point turn around leading 11-9 with roughly  6:00 minutes left to play. The Final Score was 16-12 with the victory to the Titans.  

“We need to work on communication as communication wins games. Our cracks on defense due to lack of communication leads the other team slide in getting shots they shouldn’t be,” said Jayden Esquer, senior Midfielder.     

For the seniors, not only is the season about business but it’s about the fun. It’s important to enjoy the time while it last, according to Esquer and Page. No matter the outcomes the team looks to end the season with great memories.  

“The most enjoyable thing about this season is being able to play with my closest friends,” said Esquer 

“The most enjoyable part has been playing in league, Probably Bonita because we went into overtime and won. A memorable game,” said Page.