Review: Bobby Tarantino II

Album cover of Bobby Tarantino II

Album cover of Bobby Tarantino II

Assad Khalilzadeh, Staff Reporter

Logic’s sixth studio album Bobby Tarantino II was released on March 9, 2018. Since then it has received a widely mixed reception, but it won’t stop it as it landed number 1 on the Billboard music charts with 119,000 cumulative sales. Logic decided to take an experimental approach to this mixtape which gives a nice new approach.

Originally from Gaithersburg, Maryland, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II had a mentor named Solomon when he was 17-years-old who told him to look through a dictionary and find a word that represented him. Hall found the word “Psychological” which then became his temporary moniker/rap name. This would then change in 2011 when his friend Big Lenbo started calling him “Logic” for short and it just stuck. Logic has put out six total mixtapes and three studio albums, Bobby Tarantino II is a sequel to the original Bobby Tarantino released back in July of 2016.

Logic references his wealth and success a lot throughout this project through tracks like Contra and Wizard of Oz. This was the main reason as to why the mixtape was hard to evaluate as a Logic fan because it was something that he doesn’t talk about in his music that often. He uses his alter ego in “Bobby” to talk about these subjects as in the previous mixtape, he established that this alter ego is a more confident and outspoken version of himself.

The lyrics “Peace, Love, and Positivity that’s all I want with you but you push the issue ’cause I give you more press than your publicist could ever get you,” from the song, “Yuck,” sheds light on an issue that a fellow rapper in Joyner Lucas has with him. Lucas has been taking jabs at him for about a year now, and this is the first time that Logic has responded, but did so without mentioning his name. This was probably used to address the situation without giving Lucas the attention he wanted.

Logic will be hosting a tour with fellow rappers NF and KYLE starting in Boston, Massachusetts on June 8th and will run through August 3rd at St. Louis, Missouri. New York, Atlanta, Detroit, Toronto, Los Angeles and Las Vegas are some of the 33 different cities that he will perform on “The Bobby Tarantino Vs. Everybody Tour”.

After the release of a mediocre album in Everybody this was a nice window into what fans could expect to see in his next album Ultra 85 projected to release in 2019. This project was very unlike what Logic has done in the past which is why a lot of people like it. Though creativity should be applauded, Logic lacked the ability to sound comfortable whilst rapping, it felt as if he was forcing himself to say certain things. Besides that this project offered a lot, but that doesn’t mean it is always good. This mixtape is a 7.5/10, nothing more nothing less.