Boys Tennis

Stock tennis photo

Stock tennis photo

Stock tennis photo

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The Boys Tennis team has swung into the season with high expectations, as the squad has a lot of potential this year. Although currently 3-6, the boys are confident that they can still put up a great season. 

ORHS Sophomore Justin Lee had high hopes for the team this season. Last year, the team finished 12-1 overall and 11-1 in League. The boys finished on top in the Metro Mesa League and also made into the Division 1 CIF playoffs, but unfortunately came short of a championship. This year, it is almost a completely new team, according to Lee. This explains why the team is having early struggles. 

“Compared to last year, we’re definitely a relative young team,” said Lee. “This year we’re really focusing on working on fundamentals as well as communicating as a team.” 

Freshman Wesley Moore is adjusting to the team’s environment as with many other young players. With a lot of new players this season, the veteran captains have done an exceptional job leading this team according to Moore. Players such as Senior Daniel Dylan and Sophomore Matthew Lanahan have been performing well and will be key for the remainder of the season. 

“It’s an adjusting period for us,” said Moore. “We’re just trying to learn from the more experienced players on the team and hoping that we can improve every day.” 

CIF is on the mindset of the team, but the boys are working to improve before they get ahead of themselves. Working on their serves and conditioning has cost them some close matches this season, resulting in several losses, such as a most recent loss against Eastlake. Improving these skills are vital for the team as they approach the halfway mark to their season. 

“CIF’s will be a challenge for us,” said Lee. “So, we’re taking it one game at a time, focusing on what we need to work on so we can reach that level of play from last year.” 

The team’s next opponent will be Bonita Vista High School. Bonita will be another tough league opponent as they are reported to be 10-2 overall and 8-2 in league. The Barons have some great tennis players so Moore is expecting it to be a competitive matchup but the mustangs are being optimistic against the Lancers. 

“They’re program has greatly improved over the past years,” said Moore. “But we’re treating them as any other League Opponent. Ultimately, we need to control the tempo of the game. 

The matchup will be a home game and will take place tomorrow at 3 PM. A win this week will go a long way for the team to bounce back in the league conference