College Acceptances

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Josh Lee, Staff Reporter

It is the waiting that is hard. Filling out college applications and writing personal statements now seem easy compared to waiting for an acceptance letter or email. Spring break signifies fun but also by the time it is over most seniors will have learned if they were accepted into their first choice colleges.  

Early acceptance colleges can begin sending notifications  as early as January. Senior Tyler Ocampo was surprised to see a notification for one of the colleges where he applied. Immediately opening the email, he was confused to see a college acceptance so early in the year. He he checks and double checks. 

“Freshman year was my first year in the School District so I couldn’t qualify for Compact for Success.” said Ocampo. “I was at my house when I got my acceptance letter. I was notified on my phone saying that I got an email. I was alone in the house so I decided to open it first. After, I sent a text to my mom.”  

Josh Paulo was with friends when he opened his email notification from Cal Poly Pomona. He was surprised to see that he got accepted and brags to his friends. 

“Pomona was actually one of the schools that I wanted to go to.,” said Josh. “My dad works around there so it would be pretty cool if my family could stick together. I was getting food with my friend when I got a snap from someone saying that he got accepted to Pomona. So I checked my email and I also had one.”  

College acceptances can be a joyful moment however, life does not go always as planned. Many students get denied acceptance from schools. 

Jonathan Wu, a former Mustang, shared his experience of college admissions during his class year of 2017.  

“I currently attend the University of California Irvine.” said Jonathan. “I applied to many prestigious schools like Berkeley and Harvard and got rejected but, I didn’t let it get to me because those schools are prestigious for a reason. I moved on and found that UCI has a great business program so I made my choice and didn’t look back.” 

Although many students are not accepted to the colleges that they desire, many others do.  

Senior Giselle Gil received an acceptance letter from her desired school and immediately decided that she would attend.  

“I recently got accepted to my dream school, UC Davis.” said Giselle. “My friend Alyssa texted me at night a couple of days ago and told me how she got accepted to UC Davis. I didn’t remember receiving anything from Davis so I got really nervous but, Alyssa told me to search UC Davis in my email. When I did, I saw an email that said UC Davis Admissions and I had gotten accepted! I couldn’t wait to tell my family the next morning.” 

CSU’s have started to send acceptance letters for class of 2018 Acceptance letters may be delivered through mail or email and will be delivered from February to April. UC’s will begin sending notices in March 18 and others not until March 30