Demi Lovato Live!

Demi Lovato and DJ Khalid Tour Poster

Demi Lovato and DJ Khalid Tour Poster

Demi Lovato and DJ Khalid Tour Poster

Cristina Sandoval, Staff Reporter

On Feb. 26, Demi Lovato, DJ Khaled, and Kehlani performed at the Viejas Arena at San Diego State University at 7:30 p.m. Kehlani opened the sold out show up, singing her most popular songs such as “Honey” and “Distraction.” 

DJ Khaled came next remixing popular songs from other artists like “All I Do is Win” and “Finesse.”  

Lovato sang most the songs off her new album Tell Me You Love Me while singing some of her old songs such as “Heart Attack,” “Confident,” and “Cool for the Summer.”  

The concert lasted about four hours and it was the first show for the trio’s world tour. 

It was full of bright and colorful lights, background changes showing videos of her boxing and going to a therapy session, and Lovato constantly moving around on stage and dancing with her chereographed dance 

Lovato’s performance itself was absolutely stunning in more ways than one.  

The show was filled with over half a dozen costume changes, from an all black leather outfit with fishnet leggings and knee high boots, to an all white nightgown, energetic and choreographed dance moves from Lovato and her dancers, surprises like disappearing from the stage only to reappear dressed in a different outfit on a stage on the arena floor, and inspirational videos, including multiple negative tweets people have said about her on Twitter.  

In the middle of her concert, Lovato introduced 6 students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who survived the Feb. 14 attack that killed 17 people. 

The students were brought out onstage wearing maroon shirts that said “MSD strong” in big white letters that stood for their high school name.  

The audience were awed when the students came out onstage and gave them a standing ovation.  

“I want to make sure their voices are being heard and we can provide them with the mental health and post trauma care they need,” said Lovato in a statement.  

Lovato, a big advocate of people getting support for their mental health issues, urged her audience to donate money to CAST, which is an organization that focuses on customized treatment for mental health and substance use disorders. 

The money donated will go to helping support the survivors of the shooting and the school and make sure the students and teachers get the mental health they need. The singer put a number on the big screen the audience could text to donate money to the cause.  

“Lovato called the show ‘incredibly special’ in a statement and said she was honored to hear the students’ courageous stories,” said Daily News.  

Later in the night, Lovato got serious and started opening up about her depression and how much she thanks CAST for not giving up on her and helping her get sober. The audience got teary-eyed and was inspired by Lovato’s journey.  

Lovato ended the show singing “Sorry Not Sorry” and “Tell Me You Love Me” with the San Diego Gay Men’s chorus onstage with her and confetti raining down from the ceiling.   

Overall, the concert was amazing, with Lovato reaching outstanding high notes perfectly, while keeping the audience engaged and surprised, and delivering inspiring speeches. I highly recommend to watch a show on this tour even if you are not familiar with her music because you will be entertained.