Review: Call Me by Your Name

Call Me By Your Name Poster

Call Me By Your Name Poster

Call Me By Your Name Poster

Emiliano Soto, A&E Editor

Based on the novel written by André Aciman, “Call Me by Your Name” is a coming of age independent film dealing with the issue of homosexuality in the 1980s. The director of this film, Luca Guadagnino, takes us to beautiful Lombardy, Italy in 1983. In this film, the main characters are Timothee Chalamet who plays Elios Perlman and Armie Hammer who plays Oliver. This film was nominated for six Academy Awards and won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. The film has already been said to be in the top 10 movies of the year by the National Board Review and the American Film Institute.  

Seventeen year old Elio Perlman is spending the summer with his family in their 17th century villa. Oliver, an attractive young man, is taking a summer internship with Elios father. Even If the beginning of their relationship is rocky, seeing the character flaws both Oliver and Elio posses. Oliver is more charismatic which sometimes comes off as smugness. Elio is more quiet and anti-social, which can come off as disapproval when he is approached. Throughout the following six weeks, Elios and Oliver will begin to develop a relationship that will change their lives forever. 

The film includes amazing acting from both Chalamet and Hammer. The scenes flow with very easygoing dialogue and great comedic moments. As well as very emotional and endearing moments between Oliver and Elio. Not only is the acting met with a very precise and believable delivery, the filmography is met with the same precise manner. Luca Guadagnino thrives with the way he captures the beauty in the surroundings of Lombardy.  

Not only that but the music accompanied with these scenes make for a inspiring landscape. The type of inspiration that evokes a sense of wanderlust. The soundtrack/score to this movie features music from a variety of artists. Music from Sufjan Stevens to Giorgio Moroder & Joe Esposito and F.R David are all included in the soundtrack.  

Aside from the phenomenal scenery, Call Me by Your Name flourishes by the way its actors commit to their roles. Chemistry is important in order to create real relationships on screen. Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer truly bring the characters of Elio and Oliver to life. The dynamic displayed on screen by both of these actors is outstanding. So much so that Chalamet has already won an Academy Award. Despite being given smaller parts, the rest of cast is just as important to the storyline as the next. Notably Elio’s parents (Amira Casar & Michael Stuhlbarg) and girlfriend (Esther Garrel), who take a seat back from this movies main focus, still manage to shine through.  

“Call Me by Your Name” is a near perfect film. Building on such a great script and dialogue, as well as its actors and scenery this film just thrives to the best of its ability. Missing this movie would result in a disservice to thyself. If any more implication of this movie’s greatness needs to be displayed, Call me by Your Name already has acquitted a 96 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The empire called this film “A full-hearted romantic masterpiece.”  

8/10.