Girls’ Basketball

Katelyn Nelson's photo of Mustangs v. Montgomery

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The season has been well for the girls’ basketball team. The Lady Mustangs are currently 13-10 overall, winning some impressive games early in the season. However, the team is 2-6 in League losing some key matchups against rivalry schools. The team looking to win a banner this year in a competitive metro league conference.

According to Otay Ranch Junior Midori Harvey, this year has been decent. Their season started off well as the Lady Mustangs won six-games in a row. However, the team seemed to fluctuate after the winning-streak, according to Harvey. However, Harvey believes the team can turn it around.

“The season has been all right,” said Harvey. “We started off well but recently we’ve been winning games one week then losing the next. But I think we can pick it up”

Otay Ranch Senior CJ Fong is confident about her team’s performance this year. Players such as juniors Midori Harvey and Katelyn Nelson have led this team to victory throughout this season. Although these two have been key players for the team, every player contributed this year.

“I think we’ve been doing great this season,” said Fong. “We did well in the Coronado Christmas Tournament but recently we’ve been facing tough league opponents. However, I think we can turn things around.”

Harvey thinks that being consistent will be a goal for them for the remainder of the season as it goes a long way. The team’s fluctuations have been a problem for the lady mustangs, so it will be something the girl’s will work on for the remainder of the season.

“We need to be more consistent,” said Harvey. “We can become more consistent through practice and making every minute count.”

The Lady Mustang’s next matchup will be against Bonita. The Barons are currently 20-6 overall and 8-1 in league. In their last meet, the Mustangs lost to Olympian, 67-26. Fong, however thinks the outcome will be different this time.

“Knowing how Bonita plays, I know we can get the win,” said Fong. “We will rely on a two-two-one press against Hilltop, it’s our specialty on defense.”

The matchup against Bonita Vista will be at home today and starts at 6 p.m. With a league win against Bonita, the Lady Mustangs hope to be in the Mix for League Championships.