Black Mirror Review & Top Five Episodes

Promotional poster for the Netflix Original

Kiara Stevenson, Staff Reporter

Black Mirror is a British-made Netflix television series about the ͞contemporary unease͟ of the advancement of technology. Similar to American Horror Story and the Twilight Zone, the episodes are not blatantly connected and explore different story lines but, writers do tend to scatter some ͞Easter egg͟ connections for avid viewers to find. Created by Charlie Brooker, the show plays to society’s newest and most prominent weakness of its obsession with technology and the inability to detach from computers, phones and other electronic devices. Viewers that are looking to start a new series, I would definitely recommend starting into this mind-blowing and encapsulating series. Here’s a Top 5 List of the 19 (and counting) episodes that make this series amazing without giving too much away. Rankings are based on plot, acting, cinematography, use of symbolism and overall impressiveness.

5. “Nosedive” – This episode takes a jab at society’s value of follower count and ͞ratings͟ on social media. In an alternate universe where your social rating may very well determine your life, a woman goes on a treacherous adventure to an old friend’s wedding to improve her social rating in order to afford her dream apartment. The episode’s scenery is very clean and modernized and the cinematography uses bright and soft colors that transition throughout the story.

4. “Shut Up and Dance”- Alex Lawther plays a young and nervous man named Kenny who, after downloading seemingly legit protective software to his computer, gets called onto by Hackers who threaten to expose an embarrassing moment to his peers and family if he doesn’t follow their instructions. Along the way he meets other shady characters who are being threatened as well. This episode uses a lot of camera panning and close-up shots to symbolize Kenny’s journey of where he’s at to where he’s going.

3. “White Bear”- “White Bear” is the kind of episode that leaves you completely lost for thought in the best way possible. The ending, which I won’t give away, has a lasting effect on you and leaves you questioning what type of person you are. As it goes, a woman wakes up in a completely deserted neighborhood, aside from the people who won’t stop following and recording her while she begs for help. She meets Jem and Damien, the only people who help her. A lot of scenes shoot from third person, and the color tones match the bleak fates of the women, whose journey you follow throughout the episode, feel doomed to meet. Actors deliver amazing performances and keep you completely hooked into a new realm.

2. “Black Museum”- Apart of Black Mirror’s newest season, Black Museum is easily my favorite episode of the recently released. The plot is that of a young girl named Nish who discovers an alluring and deserted museum, owned by Rolo Haynes, who narrates the stories of artifacts in the museum all leading up to an unexpected and anomalous main attraction. This episode uses symbolism in ways of each artifact representing an overall theme of every story. Cinematography and acting were impactful and unforced; at the end of the episode you want nothing but to start it over again.

1. “Hated in the Nation” – Bringing us to the most supremely significant episode of the series called, “Hated in the Nation,” this episode meets suspense, crime drama, and implicit romance between a couple of characters without distracting from the real plot. Karin Park and Blue Colson follow leads on and unexplainable murder case. Their investigation leads them on a chase to find the killer and save more potential victims. I can’t explain why this episode is so great without giving away spoilers but, the use of jump scenes to DCI Park in court giving her testimony make for great breaks from heavy reveals. The actors deliver phenomenal performances and uses of dark to light blue colorings help set tone and mood of the episode. If you ever are or ever have been paranoid about the government watching you through tiny electrical bees, this episode certainly won’t kill any suspicion but, for all we know it doesn’t have to be a bad thing. In other words, the lesson you should learn is to save the bees and stay woke. Overall, Black Mirror is an experience. You sit down to watch a show because you’re bored and in dire need of continuous entertainment, and end up with a new (and somewhat paranoid) state of mind. Charlie Brooker has a way of drawing you in with each passing scene, and no amount of analysis can prepare you for the twists and shocks you’ll find

8/10