Jordan: Greatest Player of All Time

Isaac Ochoa, News Editor

The argument about who is the best basketball player of all time will never end. Many say Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, “Magic” Johnson and the list goes on. Sports analyst Collin Cowherd and Skip Bayless lean on statistics and how clutch, dominate or well-rounded players are within their era to support their argument. With numerous of sports analyst and opinions there is no one straight answer for who is the greatest of all time (GOAT) inevitably splitting up the basketball community.

John Hellinger an ESPN Sports Analyst created the Player Efficiency Rating (PER). The PER is the rating of a players per-minute productivity represented by one number. This rating system calculates all productive stats (3-pointers made, FT made, FG made, steals, blocks, etc..) against all negative producing stats (missed shots, fouls, turnovers). These ratings also takes into account the tempo or speed of the player’s team and contributes it back to the rating in order to balance out the different playing style of the game.

As one number represents the efficiency per-minute this merely depletes all statistical arguments because the previous stats are combined having no meaning. This also battle’s conceptual arguments of who is the GOAT because concepts need evidence and with one number representing all statistics, the PER is the only logical number to support.

Efficiency is notable in all aspects of life. If an engineer is not efficient they are not successful in their job, and this corresponds with basketball. Kobe Bryant who has five NBA Championships and is arguably the GOAT has a PER of 22.9 placing him at rank 24 on the Basketball Reference All-Time PER ranks. This rank strikes Bryant remarkably lower than the other players like LeBron James and Michael Jordan, who critics claim are in debate with Bryant for the GOAT spot. It is illogical to render the idea that Bryant who’s very inefficient compared to the others in the conversation is capable of being the GOAT.

LeBron James is currently the best basketball player in the world. Being a dominant player on the court as well as a great leader many are quick to critique his lack of killer instinct compared to Jordan and Bryant. Many critics well downplay his tremendous athletic ability and great skill for his size dropping him from the GOAT debate like Steven A. Smith, ESPN Sports Analyst. Analysts like Smith will argue the inefficient Kobe Bryant is better than James which is illogical in ways when James has a PER of 27.62, placing him at No. 2 on the All-Time list. James’ efficiency as shown through his rating allows his GOAT argument to be relevant and well supported. Efficiency is key to success therefore declaring James a great success and potential GOAT.

Michael Jordan. One of the clutches players of all time, a six-time NBA champion and five-time League MVP, Jordan is the GOAT. The rings, the awards, the skill, the athleticism and the drive are what many critics claim he is naturally gifted with. Analysts from Cowherd to Smith to Charles Barkley, will name Jordan is the GOAT. His player efficiency rating is 27.91 which places him at No. 1 on the all-time list. This PER rating finalizes the argument of who is the GOAT. This rating displays Jordan’s efficiency on both sides of the ball, and combined with his accomplishments, he is the clear-cut choice. Although LeBron James does put up a good fight along other greats, efficiency is all that matters no matter the sport, the field, or the job the most efficient means the most success translating to the greatest of all time.