Disease Affects Seniors

Abby Galdamez, Staff Writer

This lethal disease affects hundreds of upcoming graduates every year. Many are struggling with how to handle it right at this moment. This disease is known as senioritis, a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

Many high school seniors starting and finishing up the last of their college applications, begin to slack off. Missing class, not doing homework, getting lower grades on assignments they would usually ace are all signs of the ever-present senioritis. Seniors often believe colleges will not look at senior year grades. But colleges look at all four years of high school grades – including your full senior year transcript.

Senioritis also affects how much financial aid you will be offered entering college. While some students’ acceptances may be safe even after grade droppings, some financial aid might not be as safe. For colleges that award merit aid, those last semester grades can be a big factor as to who gets what. It is important to know the regulations of the universities you are applying too. Take this example from one university: Merit aid at this institution was based in part on class rank, so some students who were awarded aid based on their class rank at the time of applying lost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 per year because their class rank on their final transcript dropped significantly. Many merit scholarships are also based on GPA, so if a student’s GPA suffers during the last semester, they’ll pay for it. Literally.

The Huffpost reported that “Yes, colleges can rescind acceptances. If a student gets into a highly selective college, then drops from an A to a C or D average that college will seriously reconsider if that student is prepared for college in the fall.”

Bridgeth Miranda, Senior, describes her senioritis as bad it can get. Rather than doing school work she prefers spend her hours on Netflix. “I don’t even realize the hours go by and when I do I’m already 8 episodes into friends.”

There are several ways to avoid this disease. A smart way to gain incentive is for students to set smaller, more manageable goals throughout the semester. Students should schedule study and homework time directly into their calendars so they can hold themselves accountable and are not overwhelmed.

Ivanna Vargas, Senior, says she realized she had senioritis when the pile of work due days before started getting bigger and bigger. “I always say I’ll do it the next day but it actually ends up being days later and now I have even more assignments due.” Scheduling in a specific time for homework and studying can be a smart way to save her grades.

Marcos Ochoa, AP Lang teacher, explains the lack of effort as the year goes by. “The sooner graduation approaches, the smaller my stacks of assignments become. It’s frustrating because when they realize that it does affect their grades and test scores it’s already too late.” He finds himself often conflicted as students ask for extra credit opportunities when they “slacked off half the year.”

Waking up at 6 in the morning and coming to school may seem more and more dreadful as the days pass but knowing graduation is around the corner should be a good source of motivation to finish with a bang.