Review of “Happy Death Day”

Trinity Johnson, Staff Reporter

Happy Death Day  tells the story of the repeated death of Tree Gelbam  (Jessica Rothe). A masked murderer repeatedly finds the unpredictable college student, and murders her on her birthday. As Gelbam  relives the day of her death, she has shown audience her growth in awareness as her plan goes forward and succeeds.

Far away from the location of her deaths, she manages to oversee her murderer’s  desperate attempts in killing her and link them all together. Using her “unlimited” lives, she collects information on the murderer, exposing a pattern of death . Narrowing down her suspects, she clarifies the motive of the killer and how to stay alive. Lost in the planning of survival, both the audience and Gelbam astray from an obvious mistake.

A mistake that would someday become the answer to the misleading question, “Who is the murderer. ”

This would eventually broadcast one of the film greatest aspect, the control in misleading the audience. For example, the film avoided giving not one or two suspects, but maybe even 6 or 7.

Overwhelmed with the amount of suspension each character has, the film adds music to make it even more confusing. An example of this would be the ring tone featured in the trailer. The deepened voice of the artist 50 Cent gave off the appealing vibe of fear but was changed into a more high-pitched voice similar to a chipmunk. The feeling of fear faded well introduced  the feeling of comfort, giving a more predictable outcome of the rest of the movie. Another case would be the shared birthday between Tree and her mom, and the known cause of her hatred for her birthday. The screen was controlled by Gelbam amazing emotion and manipulation to what the audience thinks she is doing.

A separate aspect would be the acting. With the mixture of sentiment and action, the movie takes acting to another level appealing movie lovers , including myself. The actors portray their characters as easily as acting themselves.

The movie overall, was a great way to look at Gelbam’s situation and reflect on your own. Somewhat giving an image of yourself, and how to overcome the unending pathway of life.