Dunkirk Review

Lieth Palestino, Staff Reporter

Dunkirk, directed by the prestigious Christopher Nolan had many prominent British film actors such as Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, Harry Styles and Fionn Whitehead. The movie is based in 1940 in the French town of Dunkirk during World War II. The film is a Historical, suspenseful and action packed movie that closely follows what actually occurred in 1940.

Dunkirk follows the story of 3 sets of characters, we are first introduced to Fionn Whiteheads character Tommy who is on the beaches of Northern French town of Dunkirk awaiting to be evacuated by British boats as the Germans surround their position. Next we are introduced to Tom Hardy’s character Farrier who is a Royal Air Force pilot and is trying to defend the soldiers on the beach from being bombarded by German planes. And lastly we are introduced to Mark Rylance character, who is nameless, who is a fisherman who is in Britain and goes to ferry soldiers from the beach to the big boats farther out from the beach. In the beginning we see Tommy in the actual town of Dunkirk running through the streets trying to outrun German soldiers who are shooting at him. When he finally reaches the beach he sees thousands of other British, French and Belgian soldiers in lines waiting for boats to rescue them. And in the sky we see Farrier and another British pilot get in dogfights with German planes and successfully shoot them down. And Mark Rylance’s character he sets sail in his fishing boat across the English Channel to get soldiers out of danger to the British destroyers in deeper waters. Later on Tommy meets up with Harry Styles character Alex who together go from dangerous event to dangerous event almost always avoiding danger and constant life threatening situations for the rest of the movie.

One aspect of filmmaking that is very impressive was the sound. For example the planes from the soldiers on the ground point of view were loud and we heard that as an audience. We head the planes rip through the air as the opened fire on the hopeless soldiers awaiting evacuation. The planes were loud both in the movie and real life and the sound they produced through the speaker was astounding as even I could barely cope with the loud sounds it made. Not only did this apply to airplanes but also to almost every other sound such as gunshots, ocean waves and also the silence in some parts. The gunshots were very loud and surprised you as there is little gunshots being fired in the entire movie. We can also hear the waves as they crash on the beach over and over again reminding us that the soldiers are trapped and can’t do anything except wait. At some parts there is almost no noise so it allows the audience to reflect back on the previous events and the chaos that surrounds the protagonist.

Another important aspect of filmmaking was the costume and set design. These are done so accurately that it seems like you’re watching real war footage rather than a Hollywood blockbuster. The costumes look like authentic British military uniforms and everyone is dressed appropriately. Even the French and Belgian soldiers, who rarely make an appearance, are dressed in their correct uniforms. The set of the movie is also very similar to its real life counterpart. In both real life and the movie the town of Dunkirk are right on the sand, where you can walk out a door and be feet away from the beach. This is shown in the movie as when Tommy runs out of the town to escape danger and almost immediately ends up on the beach.

Overall this movie is great as it has great set and costume design and the sound design is stellar. The pacing of the movie is good as Christopher Nolan gives you just the right amount of time to develop character arcs. He also figured out how to create very tense situations where the characters barely make it out of harm’s way. If you haven’t seen it yet then I would recommend it to people who like historical movies, actions and thrillers.