Football Brings League Banner to the Ranch

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The ORHS Football team had a historic game against Mater Dei this past Friday, 47-9, winning their first Mesa League Championship in over 15 years. According to the team, it was truly an “exhilarating feeling” to be league champions and hope to carry this momentum in CIF’s playoffs.

The boys put up an outstanding performance according to head coach Lance Christensen. The team took the lead in the first half and kept adding onto it for the rest of the game. Most of the touchdowns came on the ground as the boys totaled 430 yards and 6 touchdowns. On the defensive side, the team only allowed 9 points throughout the game and forced two turnovers. The preparation for this game reflected their performance against Mater Dei, making the team very deserving of the League Championships.

“I am proud for my players, the coaching staff and the school,” said Christensen. “This league championship was very special since it was for Mr. Brosz.”

ORHS Seniors Sammy Paranada and David Balderas contributed to most of the team’s points, combining for five touchdowns. According to Balderas, every player executed their job and kept their eyes on the league banner. Becoming league champions was a goal the team strived for to commemorate former principal Jose Brosz.

“We playing as a team was really why we did well against Mater Dei,” said Balderas. “The win was really dedicated to Mr. Brosz and I know he would be proud of us.”

The team is now league champions but they are not finish yet. The Mustangs are now seeking a Division II CIF’s Championship. With an upcoming bye, the boys are going to prepare for their playoff matchup against the winner of the first-round matchup between Lincoln High School and Vista High School. The plan is to keep up this momentum and not let their guards down against their opponent.

“We believe it’s going to be against Lincoln but we will prepare for Vista if that turns out to be the case,” said Christensen. “But its November football and I know our boys are excited. I think we’ll be successful next week.”

After the bye-week, the Mustangs will play their first CIF matchup Nov. 17 at home.

The first round of CIF playoffs will determine their opponent.