Cartoon Network Exhibit Produces Unforgettable Memories

The Cartoon Network Exhibit is in the Paley Center for Media in Los Angeles.

Elissa Huynh

Elissa Huynh

Elissa Huynh, In-Depth Editor

At the Paley Center for Media in Los Angeles, Cartoon Network celebrates its 25th anniversary. Cartoon Network: 25 Years of Drawing on Creativity included a free exhibit and screening. It started Oct. 14 and will close Nov. 19. It is open on Wednesdays to Sundays from noon to 5 p.m. and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

The exterior of the building is decorated with characters from Cartoon Network shows like Finn, Steven and Bubbles. Inside at the entrance, colorful vertical banners hang from the ceiling with faces of characters greeting the guests.

The entrance leads into a large room with the Steven Universe exhibit displaying sketches and explanations of what the creators do. It includes the pilot designs of the characters: Steven, Pearl, Amethyst and Garnet. Guests could listen to the soundtrack on an iPad and view many artworks of characters and settings from the show. The drawings of the characters were adorable like one where the characters switch outfits. The rough work of the creators were cute and very interesting to see because it shows the creative and imaginative processes of the show.

A screening in a small theater plays episodes and videos from the 2016 San Diego Comic Con. Episodes from cartoon series like Ben 10, OK K.O.!, The Powerpuff Girls and Steven Universe ran on a large screen. Clips of Rebecca Sugar, creator of Steven Universe, provided insight to the process she went through to make the show. Plenty of seats are available and guests could relax and cool down in the cold theater.

A small store on the left of the entrance sold merchandise from Cartoon Network’s shows. Its products were slightly expensive with a child’s T-shirt at $20 and adults’ T-shirt at $25. They would attract the attention of fans since it had items like the cheeseburger backpack from Steven Universe, BMO phone case, Pop figures and We Bare Bears sweater.

On the second floor, the exhibit had works from Adventure Time including the stop-motion set used in the episode “Bad Jubies.” The set consists of the tree house that the main characters live in, figures of some characters, and several of Finn’s faces with different expressions.

Visitors create their own Powerpuff girls on iPads where they can choose the outfit, facial features and hair. This allows guests to get creative and also interact with the exhibit. Neon lights of the three Powerpuff Girls glow from a wall providing a picture opportunity. To the right of this, statues of Bubbles, Blossom and Buttercup stand. Guests could play a game on an iPad from the show Ben 10 also getting hands-on fun.

The entire museum was adorable with all the displays from cartoon shows. The atmosphere was peaceful and relaxed since it is not cramped and crowded on its regular days. Employees at the front desk provide information about the museum that allows visitors to have fun experiences and not miss anything.

The exhibit mainly focuses on the current shows on Cartoon Network but incorporates characters from older series like Courage from Courage the Cowardly Dog and Bloo from Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. It would be more interesting if it displayed artworks from older cartoons to attract a wider audience and create a nostalgic atmosphere.

Overall, anyone of all ages can enjoy experiencing Cartoon Network: 25 Years of Drawing on Creativity. It is free, entertaining and inspiring. Cartoon Network fans especially can create memories and take photos that they will never forget.