Halloween Costume Guidelines

License: CC0 Public Domain

License: CC0 Public Domain

Regardless of age, wearing a costume on Halloween is a tradition of the day. For students at Otay Ranch the tradition will continue but all costumes must be school appropriate.

Administration requests that students please use good judgment.  Halloween is not a time to make fun of others.

Students should be cautions when choosing their costume and remember that identity is not a costume. Putting on clothing that represents a cultural group other than your own is appropriation.

According to Elvira Mora in an online Oct. 25 article in the Suffolk Journal, appropriated “Costumes” minimize a culture with a rich history and special customs to a watered down colonized version.

A statement from ORHS administration reads: Although dressing up for Halloween is fun, education is the first priority at Otay Ranch High School. Costumes must not inhibit a students’ ability to participate fully in classes.

Please note the following rules regarding costumes:

• No clown costumes
  • No revealing costumes; All dress guidelines still apply (no revealing tops or short shirts permitted)
  • No costumes that may offend others due to race, culture, gender, religion, or sexual orientation
  • No toy weapons or objects/elements that represent violence
  • No masks
  • No gang, drug, or alcohol references

Students should be aware that if a member of the administrative team deems any costume inappropriate, the student will be required to change. If alternate clothing is not available, the student will be asked to wear PE clothing, or call a parent/guardian for assistance. If you are unsure if your costume is school appropriate, please contact one of the administrators.