Horan Releases First Solo Album

Jazzy Tompkins , Staff Reporter

Niall Horan released his first solo album Flicker Oct. 20. He had been working on it since March 2016. He released his first single “This Town” Sept. 29, 2016, along with “Slow Hands”  and “Too Much to Ask.” The album consists of 10 songs for standard edition and 13 for the deluxe edition. Along with announcing his album, he began his Flicker Sessions 2017 tour on August 2017 and will play 20 concerts.

The genre of this album is folk rock. You get this authentic vibe when you hear Niall Horan  sing while playing his guitar. The album begins with a pop-rock tune called “On the Loose” that Niall talks about how his girl moves and she admits that she loves Niall and no one else. “On the Loose” has rock and roll combined with pop elements that Niall got his inspiration for writing this song. If you are a fan of One Direction or ever heard of the song “What a Feeling” this song will give you those vibes.

Top three songs for me would be Paper Houses, Slow Hands and Mirrors. “Paper Houses” is very simple straightforward track on this album and it really gets you in your feels by making you feel calm. “Slow Hands” is more of an upbeat funky song that can put you into  a good chill vibe mood. “Mirrors” is a really good song because most of his songs on this album are quite chill and nice to listen to, it really does relax you and his voice really makes you feel like time is going by so fast but really he’s taking his time.

The rest of the songs are really surprising to listen to because you are used to him singing with One Direction and not so much of being a solo artist. Once you get at least halfway through the album, you’ll start to feel all these calm vibes that can put you in a great mood.

Overall, Flicker is a popular album that I would recommend to anyone. Even if there is only one or maybe two songs that you like, hopefully you will listen to them on repeat and get used to how this album turned out pretty great. Niall is a really strong song artist along with songwriting because he knows what can make you feel better and how he can explain how got inspired to write those songs on the album.

He will be returning to California while on his Flicker World Tour 2018 concert. Aug. 17, 2018, he will be here in Chula Vista at the Mattress Firm Amphitheatre. Tickets went on sale starting Sept. 15. Go out and see him live singing his amazing Flicker album.