Review on Anastasia (Original Broadway Cast Recording)

Elissa Huynh, In-depth editor

The soundtrack of the Anastasia Broadway musical is available on iTunes. The soundtrack includes songs from the 1997 film, Anastasia, released by 20th Century Fox. It also has new songs like “In My Dreams”, “Land of Yesterday” and “In a Crowd of Thousands”. The album is overall amazing and full of pleasing harmonies. It received 4.5 out of 5 stars on iTunes and was released June 9, 2017.

In the musical and soundtrack, Christy Altomare play Anastasia or Anya, the main protagonist. Derek Klena plays Dmitry, and John Bolton plays Vlad. The musical opened April 25.

One of the most popular songs is “Once Upon a December”, according to iTunes which is sung by Altomare and is in the original movie. Anya sings about her memories that she lost as a kid that are vague. It is also elegant from the solo to the choral part and back to the solo. The chorus harmonizes amazingly producing a full sound and bringing listeners into the past.

“Journey to the Past” attracts many listeners’ attention according to iTunes and comes from the original movie. Anya tries to build up her courage as she decides to travel to Paris where she thinks someone from her past is waiting. She hopes that she will find family from before she lost her memory. Although this song does not surpass “Once Upon a December”, Altomare, along with the instrumentals, express powerful emotions with the dynamics.

“Home, love, family there was once a time I must have had them too,” sings Altomare as Anya.

“Stay, I Pray You” has soloists Constantine Germanacos who plays Count Ipolitov, Klena, Bolton, Altomare and the ensemble. This song was not in the movie, but is one of the best songs in the album. It is truly beautiful with the elegant but dark mood and the slow pace and focuses on the vocals. The string instrument and Germanacos’s voice sets the atmosphere in the beginning stunningly and entrancingly. The best part is when the choir joins in which further enriches the sound and emphasizes the fact that it is a musical.

Other great new songs include “My Petersburg by Klena which tells of Dmitry’s past, “Land of Yesterday by Caroline O’Connor and Anastasia Company which is upbeat and jazz-style, and “In Crowd of Thousands” by Klena and Altomare.

Overall, Anastasia (Original Broadway Cast Recording) is a beautiful masterpiece and anybody who likes songs from musicals should listen to it. Even those who do not care about musicals should do something different and enjoy this amazing album.

10/10