Books Become Popular Televison Shows

Sarah Ley, Staff Reporter

Some of the most popular shows on TV were based  Many shows including Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, A Series of Unfortunate Events, 13 Reasons Why, Orange is the New Black and The Vampire Diaries were created from a popular book or series.

Pretty Little Liars was one of the most popular shows on ABC Family with the show continuing for over seven years. PLL is about on four friends who get closer because of mysterious messages that contain to their missing friend and someone who is also watching them and knows

Book 1 of the 11 book Gossip Girl series. The book became a series on the CW

their deepest secrets, based on the series of books by Sara Shepard. There are 16 books in this series.

13 Reasons Why is a Netflix original based on the 2007 novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. The show and novel are about a girl named Hannah Baker, who committed suicide, which leads a high school student named Clay Jensen left handed a box of tapes recorded by Hannah that details thirteen reasons why she ended her life. 13 Reasons Why was the most talked about Netflix show of all time on social media according to teenvogue.com. There are many mixed reviews about this show, but because of the hype there are many wonders if there will be a season 2 added on.

There is always many talks about what people liked more, the book or the show? Many people actually get disappointed after reading a book then seeing it turn into a show because they usually leave out certain parts or changed a big event.

Gossip Girl was a very popular show that ended in 2012 but still remains very popular on Netflix. Even though many people enjoy watching this show they don’t know there are a few changes that were made from the book to the TV show. One main part of the show in the first 3 seasons is all the main characters living in the Upper East Side attend a private high school called St. Jude’s. In the book, two main characters, Chuck and Dan attend a school called Riverside Prep while only Nate goes to St. Jude’s. Also major plot twist on television was Blair not getting accepted into her dream school Yale, while in the book she attends.

Reason for many changes in television shows is to keep people watching through every episode and be entertained. Some people believe scenes or descriptions in books don’t translate well as visuals on the big screen. Authors of books are usually happy when they see their book become live on a screen. Jay Asher who wrote 13 Reasons Why, in an online video interview stated he “loved the way the show came out” and “was very happy with the outcome.”