Netflix Includes Original Content

A scene from Netflix original 13 Reasons Why.

Elissa Huynh, In-depth Editor

Different entertainment companies provide way to watch TV series and movies including through streaming. Netflix, one of these services, release their own content called Netflix Originals.

It all started with House of Cards in 2013, a drama series that highlights themes of corruption and greed. In the show, Francis Underwood supported Garrett Walker, a presidential candidate, in order to become secretary of state, but when Walker backed out, Underwood set out on revenge.

The Netflix Original Stranger Things is sci-fi, horror and thriller, according to PopSugar. Will, a young boy from a small Midwest town in the 1980s, goes missing leading to supernatural events and investigations as his mother, friends and the police chief work to find him. As of November 2016, this series had 2.9 million viewers according to Digital Spy.

Voltron: Legendary Defender came out in 2016 and the show follows five people from Earth that become intergalactic heroes. They pilot robot lions that form Voltron, the only things that can end the tyranny of the Galra Empire.

“I like this show because its funny first of all and it has very diverse characters ethnically and personality-wise,” said Reeka Estacio, ORHS junior. “They go into a lot of topics that are like hinted in the show like racism and insecurity and anxiety and gender roles.”

In 13 Reasons Why, the drama series, teenage Hannah Baker commits suicide and leaves tapes for Clay Jensen explaining the reason for her death. It is based on the book 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It trended on Twitter, but also caused cultural controversy since the dark topics can negatively influence viewers.

In this April, Netflix spent $6 billion on its original content according to Business Insider. Netflix content boss Ted Sarandos stated that the amount of money invested in originals were balanced with the amount of hours viewers spending watching them.

“You have to find someone to pay for the Netflix account cause I don’t,” said Estacio. “There are really good shows but you can only have them if you have Netflix.”

Netflix Originals currently include BoJack Horseman, Master of None, Jessica Jones, Dear White People, All Hail King Julien, Trollhunters and more.