steve

steve

April is National Poetry Month!

A Month Dedicated to Poetry

Isaac Ochoa, News Editor

Millions of readers, students, teachers, professors, librarians, publishers and poets across world pedestal poetry for its contributions to society every April. April has was titled National Poetry Month in 1996 by the Academy of American Poet. The month of April was chosen as the council if teachers, publishers, booksellers and poets felt it was the best time to focus on poetry within the year. Poetry...

Modern Poetry

Vanessa Castellon, Editor in Chief

"if you were born with the weakness to fall you were born with the strength to rise rupi kaur" Milk and Honey by Kaur, Salt by Nayyirah Waheed, The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace and The Sun and Her Flowers by Kaur are examples of a new trend of poetry that has gained popularity. “I think that it’s very open to some concepts that some girls are too scared or not op...

Slamming With Words

Abby Galdamez, Staff Reporter

A different kind of poetry has gained momentum as issues like racial violence, immigration, `   social justice, police brutality and women’s rights have given the youth a new reason to speak their minds. Slam poetry became an outlet for many who wish for their poetry to go far beyond just a pen and paper. A  poetry slam, often mistaken for a poet’s open mic night, is a performance competition...

Importance of Poetry

Marisa Contreras, Staff Reporter

Poetry is an art form that has been around for thousands of years. Poets were looked at like rock stars for their graceful way with words.  Poetry often uses specific language in unusual ways, to bring out deep feelings and a sense of what is beautiful about the world. Poetry is a way to understand how languages and symbol systems work. It’s one of the most powerful forms of writing because...

Milk and Vine Review

Elissa Huynh, In-depth editor

Poetry evolved with time to reflect cultural values of the period. Vines contribute to social media despite the app ending in 2017 but their legacy lives on. Milk and Vine written by Adam Gasiewski and Emily Beck and published in Oct. 22, 2017 is a parody of Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur which was published on Nov. 4, 2014. Milk and Vines includes short poems accompanied by simple, messy doodles. ...

Love Poetry

Jawses Ecaldre, Staff Reporter

“Love poetry really helped me when I was going through a rough time with my significant other and it actually is very comforting," said Joe Luna. Love poetry also can be a way to help relationships because these poems have so much meaning in them and it may not seem a lot but these poems really have big impacts in people’s relationship. “One time I was arguing with my girl and we honestly...

The Ranch Review • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in