Black Panther Album Review

Album cover

Album cover

Rayna Powell, Staff Reporter

Marvel’s Black Panther was released to theaters February 16, making history for the black community as one of the first American movies to have a depiction of African cultures that does not cast a stereotypical and negative idea of what the cultures practice. However, the movie did not get all its media attention solely from its cast or its trailers. 

On February 9,Black Panther: The Album The Music From and Inspired By was released in promotion of the movie. The album caused excitement because of its main producer Kendrick Lamar, a rapper praised strongly for his music and representation of the black community, then began to trend in media for its many different artist. 

The artist list includes many well known names, such as Travis Scott, 2 Chainz, SOB, Khalid, Jorja Smith, The Weekend and SZA. But the album also brought in four South African artists lesser known in the States: Babes Wodumo, Saudi, Yugen Blakrok and Sjava. Yugen Blakrok having a hits such as ‘House of Ravens’ and Dark Star’. 

The album was sure to convey the movie’s pan-African inspiration in the music video for its second song “All The Stars.” It does this by features colorful garments worn in many South African countries. Additionally the distinct beats of drums, which are used in almost all African countries, is prominent in the songs Oppsand ‘Redemption. 

Though the album is meant to be inspired and based off the movie, its lyrics do not directly reflect the plot of the movie.  

“I feel like yeah the beats and drums are very African theme but the words definitely aren’t” comments a student and listener of the album Kymia Artis. 

Overall the album did well selling over 200,000 copies, being streamed almost 190 million times, and making No.1 three weeks in a row on the Billboard 200 chart.