Expensive Spring Break Activities

Carlo Valencia, Staff Reporter

With spring break coming up, groups of friends and families organize and plan road trips or international vacations to fill in the free two weeks during March. Some of the activities people will plan will tend to be a more expensive investment. Vacations are ideal during spring break because the best weather in most places occurs in the springtime.

Jeanne Nobles, senior at Otay Ranch High School, traveled to the Philippines last spring. In the spring, the weather in the Philippines is at its best.

“Last year I visited my cousins and my older sister in the Philippines over spring break,” said Nobles, “We saved up a lot of money for this trip since we were going to stay there for two weeks.”

Although the country will have high humidity year-round, spring is when it’s nonstop sunshine.

“I didn’t like the weather at all because it was always hot.”said Nobles, “When we were at the beach the sun was out and the sunset was super pretty.”

Aaron Augustin, junior at Otay, is planning a trip with his family to travel around Europe for this up and coming break.

“My parents and I racked up and saved around $15,000 to travel to Asia and Europe,” said Augustin. “I think we’ve been like planning this trip since last winter, and I’m excited to be going on this trip after waiting for a long time. My mom told me that we’re going to hit Italy for four days, then onto France for five days, and we’re spending the majority of the two weeks in Spain.”

Although vacation traveling is one of the most expensive some could still invest a mass sum of money without totally breaking the bank.

With hearing the rumors of Paradise Pier’s temporary closing in Disney’s California Adventure, making a withdrawal of $1,200 for four annual passes to Disneyland in order to relive childhood memories before it’s too late. With the luxuries of the annual pass, traveling to and from, and sometimes staying in Anaheim, Disneyland seemed to be a second home.

Noah Saliba and his family bought annual passes to Disneyland for this year.

“My family and I have been going to Disneyland for spring break every year since eighth grade,” said Saliba. “I think it’s a better alternative than international travel because Disneyland is near Los Angeles so if my family wants to go but I don’t, I can just drive to LA and adventure there.”

“I didn’t like the weather at all because it was always hot,” said Nobles, “When we were at the beach the sun was out and the sunset was super pretty.”

With some investing tons of money to bask in the sunny weather spring brings, others believe that spending triple digit numbers isn’t logical when it’s only for two weeks.

“I would only spend like $100 for both weeks and it’s not like i hate people who go on trips over the break, but I just don’t think it’s right to… because it’s my senior year and I spent a lot of money on senior expenses and I prioritized those instead of vacation,” said Warren Reototar, ORHS senior.