Places to Avoid in San Diego During Break

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Picture taken by Vanessa Castellon

Jazzy Tompkins, Staff Reporter

Is San Diego a good place for spring break? Most can agree the answer to that question is both yes and no. According to travel.usnews.com, the best times to visit San Diego are March through May and September through November.  

It is a good idea to research places to visit and to save money by looking for places with good deals. 

San Diego is a popular destination and is less crowded that east coast destinations such as Florida’s Disney World and Fort Lauderdale. However, local destinations such as Balboa Park, SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo attract large crowds year-round, but larger crowds during spring break. The downtown Gaslamp Quarter is also an out-of-towner’s go to location. A few locations to avoid in San Diego include: 

Mission Beach– This is one of the most popular tourists destinations during spring break and it will be packed, especially with college students. Parking will be difficult even up and down Mission Bay Drive. 

San Diego Zoo– The city’s zoo is famous worldwide which makes it one of the top popular destinations. There will be unusually large crowds to deal with, especially with the local children being out of school. 

Downtown Harbor- The harbor will always be busy thanks to the San Diego Convention Center, which always has events or something’s going on. Foot traffic skyrockets as many tourists enjoy shopping in Seaport Village, checking out tours on the USS Midway and going down to check out the Gaslamp District.  

Once spring break begins, to avoid those locations, consider these less known destinations:

1. La Jolla Cove- Take a kayak tours to take get away from the crowds.
  2. Start the day off in North Park at Breakfast Republic. There are locations at Liberty Station and the Gaslamp too. Already in North Park go to One Door North for lunch.
  3. After walking the beaches and getting lots of vitamin D stop to get a facial or body massage at the Catamaran Spa on Mission Boulevard
  4. Head out toward Poway and hike up Mount Woodson Trail, home to the famous potato chip rock. Take some awesome pictures or selfies once you get to the top.
  5. Cross over to Coronado by taking a ferry. Now departing from the Broadway Pier or the Conventions Center, the cost per person is $4.75 each way.  
  6. Check out Cabrillo National Monument Park and play in the tide pools. A tourist attraction there is plenty of space to walk along the beach and explore the lighthouses. If you have a National Park Service pass, entrance is free. For non-pass holders the cost is $15 per vehicle. The view overlooks downtown San Diego, Mexico, and plenty of the deep blue sea. 
  7. Head over to see the beautiful Carlsbad Flower fields. The fields are open March 1 through May 13. The $16 admission fee allows you to see fields in a rainbow of color. 
  8. South Park near Balboa Park has some nice independent bookstores and dive bars. 
  9. Oceanfront patios to have you and your friends grab a stool and enjoy the view.  
  10. See San Diego like a tourist and rent a bike or a surrey for an hour. Averaging $25 per hour you can cycle around the bay with friends or family.