Top 10 Beaches in San Diego

Picture taken by Marisa Contreras

Picture taken by Marisa Contreras

Picture taken by Marisa Contreras

Marisa Contreras, Staff Reporter

Along the coast of San Diego are amazing beaches that some might call paradise. Growing up with the beach minutes away was the best. Being a Boogie boarder and a beach fanatic, here are top 10 beaches to visit during spring break in San Diego.  

Mission Beach, home of the wooden roller coaster and giant ice cream cones. Mission’s main attraction is the boardwalk and its many stores around the area including places to eat, shop, ride and play. The waves there sometimes have a strong force but are great to ride. Fire pits right on the ocean’s front is what really makes the night. 

1.  La Jolla Shores, where the sea lions hang. This beach is like being in a wave pool aquarium. You’re literally swimming with the sea life all-around you. From sea lions to fish to starfish and plant life, it’s an amazing experience. If you’re feeling adventurous then don’t forget to take a look at the caves. 
  2. Sunset Cliffs, overall best place to watch the sunset. The waves are high and the current is calm. If you’re trying to do something memorable this break, Sunset Cliffs is the place for you. From cliff jumping into the water or laying on the sand you’ll rock your tan.  
  3. Ocean Beach, it’s known for its split pier and home style cooking cafe that’s right in the middle of the pier. The waves tend to be 6 feet with a strong current on regular days.  
  4. Silver Strand Beach, known for its isolated open land and huge parking lot. This beach is great for a beach barbecue party with friends or family. The surf is wild and strong. The wildlife is cute baby cards, sand dollars and tons of sea shells.  
  5. Moonlight Beach, this beach by far has had the biggest and strongest waves that I have come encounter with. It’s the spot to be this break if you’re looking for the crowd. From volleyball net courts to tables and fire pits right on the sand, including a small snack bar right after you get down the hill from the parking lot this beach has a welcoming seen. 
  6. Ski Beach Park, is where the party happens. People can take their boats, jet skis and inflatable inner tubes out on the water.  For years I’ve came to this beach for my family reunions and it was a blast. This beach has two different parks, basketball courts and path to walk, skate or bike. The fire pits are always the best way to end the night there.
  7. Coronado Beach, where the military planes fly right over your head. Coronado brake is weak it’s more of a wave pool ocean with lots of seaweed in the way as your swimming. The best thing they have to offer is the fire pits and open sand area. 
  8. Tourmaline Surfing Park Beach, This beach has a saying “Surf Well, Spread Aloha, Share Waves without Judgement.” If you’re looking for chill vibe at the beach and nice set to ride this beach is for you. 
  9. Carlsbad Beach, the beach for camping. It’s a summer camp feel always nice and sunny. Waves are calm with a nice breeze, little surf with an easy break. There’s a campground with a cafe and hangout spot for locals.  

At all these beaches there’s shower restrooms. If you’re not a water person take the stroll down the sidewalk, around these beaches there are variety of shops and food places. Here are 10 top beaches in San Diego.