Culture Night 2018

Assad Khalilzadeh and Sarah Ley

Friday, Mar. 9 was Otay Ranch’s sixth annual Culture Night. Culture Night is an annual show prepared by the Bayanihan Filipino Club. Culture Night held all sorts of performances including Otay Ranch’s All Female, Surreal Fidelity, Ethereal Fidelity, Full Effect Show Choir and more.  

Auditions were held during January and the selection process happened in February. Some performances were prepared in ways to demonstrate a piece of culture that not many are exposed to. The San Diego Lucky Lion Dancers performed a set which showed off Chinese culture given that Chinese New Year was just 3 weeks ago. 

Culture Night is based primarily on showing people parts of culture that they have never been exposed to before. Although it also serves as a way for people to express themselves and just have fun. Josh Candelaria, Jordan Delgado and Fred Monte decided to “have fun” by dressing up as hot dogs and performing a dance.  

“It was fun to be silly with friends onstage,” said Candelaria. “Dancing is fun but this was just more fun.”  

The outcome for Culture night was great, as all seats were taken by 5:50, before the show started at 6:00. Nia Aguinaldo, member of the Bayanihan Filipino Club, said that they “almost had a full house,” and that it was “really cool to see.” The show lasted from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.  

While people were enjoying the show, there were snacks being sold. Snacks sold include nachos, candy and spam musubi. The Class of 2019 and 2020 along with some other clubs sold to the audience. 

Admission was $5 pre-sale and $7 at the door. The proceeds of the event will not just go to the club, but also to a good cause.  

“Part of it [the proceeds] will go to the Philippine Red Cross and some part of it will be for the club,” said Ms. Cruz, Advisor of the club. 

Performance after performance, the audience was giving great feedback by clapping and cheering their friends and family members on