Boys Basketball

Boys basketball picture taken by Chris Stanek

Tyler Vu, Sports Editor

The boys’ basketball team recently defeated Westview in the second round of the CIF’s playoffs. The boys are now hoping to use this momentum to reach the CIF Championships as they take on Francis Parker this week. 

The boys have had an exceptional performance overall in CIF’s according to Senior Isaac Ochoa. After winning a close one against Escondido two weeks ago, the team was ecstatic to move on and to continue to compete. Although, receiving some criticism for barely beating a No. 12 team from critics, the boys used this as motivation for their next game against Westview. Westview defeated some top basketball programs during their regular season, but the Mustangs were prepared for the challenge. 

“We were confident going in,” said Ochoa. “We knew we had to do our job, play at a high tempo, and make them make mistakes through our defense. That’s how we win games.” 

The game began in Westview’s favor as they led the Mustangs by 10 at the half. However the Mustangs turned the tide around in the second half and went to overtime. The boys were on a roll as Westview couldn’t keep up with Suda’s high-tempo offense. The Mustangs eventually came back and defeated Westview 70-65. Their comeback was a result from a change in the boys’ mindsets. 

“It was mentality,” said Ochoa. “We were down 17 but once we knew they were getting comfortable, we capitalized this. They began getting tired and we didn’t, we made tough shots that they couldn’t stop, and that was the difference in the game.” 

Head Coach Howard Suda was thrilled about the boys’ performance last week. Suda knew this was going to be a tough battle between the No. 5 Mustangs and the No. 4 wolverines. Although the team was down in the early part of the game, the Mustangs continued to fight as a trip to CIF’s Championship were on the line. The Mustangs did not want to leave empty-handed. 

“I think we really came together as a team,” said Suda. “It was a very good, emotional win. It was really a positive things for the kids.” 

The boys are now one step closer to the Championships and Ochoa as well as the whole team are looking forward to heading to the semifinals. It will be a historic moment for the program. Although the Mustangs are excited about their recent success, the boys are taking it one game at a time. 

“It feels good,” said Ochoa. “We haven’t been to semifinals as a team for a long time so this is very important to us. We just got to do our job. Score when we need to, limit turnovers and play good defense. It doesn’t matter who we face, we just got to play our hearts out and that’s how we win games.” 

The Mustangs will be playing No. 9 Francis Parker in the semifinals of CIF’s. The lancers are coming off an 80-76 victory against Montgomery last week. This will be another tough game according to Suda, so sticking with the team’s game plan will be key for gaining an edge over the Lancers. 

“Francis Parker is a really good team,” said Suda. “We’re going to rely on our pressure defense, the same defense that defeated Westview.” 

The Matchup will be this Wednesday at 7 p.m., as the Mustangs will host the Lancers at home. The boys are one game away from the CIF’s Championship game but are currently focused on defeating the Lancers.