Third Insidious Not As Frightening

Carlo Valencia          , Staff Reporter

“Insidious: The Last Key” directed by Adam Robitel is the fourth installment in the Insidious series. It is set in Elise Rainier’s (Lin Shaye) childhood home, one part when she lived in it and the other part when she revisits it to help a client with a paranormal problem. Some of the actors and actresses who starred in the film were Lin Shaye, Leigh Whannell and Spencer Locke.

Insidious: The Last Key takes the audience to the lead role of Elise Rainier to her childhood home in Five Keys New Mexico. The journey begins when Elise discovers her “sixth sense” when she sees a boy in her room with her brother, but she’s the only one to see him. Her “gift” scares her brother and her dad, who abuses her due to the fear. Years pass and Elise is forced to come back to her childhood nightmare as she accepts a investigation of paranormal activity occurring in her old home. As she progresses through her investigation she discovers how a demon took advantage of her gift in order to enter the physical world and demonize the people who live in the house. Elise will fight her hardest battle, filled with jump scares, and a very good plot that contains fillers into the potholes that the previous three left.

The first aspect that I liked about the movie was the scare factor that it brought. The demon that the makeup crew created and the special effects made each scare scarier than the last. The lighting and the slight sounds made the movie more suspenseful than expected. The camera angles and close-ups add on to the scare factor, which was creative and unique to this film.
The second aspect I liked was the setting of the dilapidated house. It created an eerie tone and was utilized to add an effect to the cast and scare the audience. The way the furniture was wrapped in plastic and how they turned Elise’s childhood home into a hoarder’s paradise which added obstacles and took up all the space in the room to make the interior run down and dirty. Yet, I like the way they chose to have the epicenter of the activity come from the kids room and how the room was kept unchanged, adding depth to the storyline.

I liked the movie, but I think the first three were much scarier, and that’s what a horror movie should be about. The movie was a good ending to the series and Lin Shaye definitely delivered her performance and brought a crushing blow to the series which would then end Elise’s story. I would recommend people who love the Insidious series to certainly watch the last installment so they could achieve closure and end everything a satisfying note. Yet for those who haven’t watched the previous Insidious movies I’d watch those before watching the Last Key since that one’s the finale. The rating I’ll give for the movie would be a 6 out of 10.