Movie’s Social and Mythical Aspect Make it the Best

Isaac Ochoa, News Editor

Since the release of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope to the latest Star Wars release Episode VIII: The Last Jedi the Star Wars saga has been at the centerfold of American Pop Culture. From characters Darth Vader to Yoda, Epic lightsaber battles and unexpected sky chases for the Millennium Falcon every fan has come to love the a certain aspect that the movies displays.

But what really makes Star Wars great isn’t just the action and the nerd fests, it’s the social religious and mythical aspects each movies tackles and masters in display. The Duality of Man, The hero’s journey and the importance of faith are the underlying features displayed throughout all movies in various concepts that make Star Wars the classic it is today.

The Duality of Man, also known as Good versus Evil is the center force of the saga. Star Wars through Palpatine,the creator of the Empire, is depicted as the most evil leader referencing the to the historical leader Adolf hitler.. Palpatine then converts Anakin Skywalker, the brave new Jedi full of hope into the face of Evil in Star Wars, Darth Vader. The idea of “am I good or am I evil” is raised through the gradual switch of Anakin Skywalker.

The Hero’s Journey, the cycle, destiny and path of the chosen one. The story of a nobody into a somebody. Star Wars is most famous for the Hero’s Journey. Beginning with Luke Skywalker the call to action  to be a jedi who at first refuses but later accepts where the story begins. Luke’s journey meeting Han Solo, traveling to Yoda and fighting his own father, Darth Vader, is what the community thrives and praises the saga for.

This journey is also seen through Rey the nobody who discovers her powers during her journey to find Luke Skywalker. The hero’s journey is what makes star wars great, the transformation into the idol every person seeks to be. The superhero powers, the polished skills and most importantly the unique personality is what strikes out to the fans.

The force. The faith and the direction it guides the characters is the resemblance of the religious references in the movies. The force is what drives the movies. Yoda, Obi Won Kinobi and palpatine all pass the faith and belief of the force to their prodigies. The use of the force leaning toward the good in the world resembles the act of gods in Judaism and Christianity. Also the hope that must be maintained throughout the good in the movie or else all evil will rule. The hope that Obi Won could stop Darth Vader is the same Hope the Rey can destroy the First order. The parallels and faith the world follows is that of the religions today. This creates a pathway for the connection to all in the world creating a universally Profound saga appreciated by all.