Entertainment Editor’s Favorite Halftime Shows

Katy Perry performing

Katy Perry performing "California Gurls" at halftime of Super Bowl XLIX at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., on Feb. 1, 2015.

From Wikimedia Commons,

From Wikimedia Commons,

Emiliano, Soto

Last Sunday millions were glued to their televisions to watch the Superbowl. But it wasn’t just the game they were watching. Halftime shows have gone from college marching bands to full on productions. Here are some I humbly think are the best.          

Prince performs in the midst of a storm.

The energetic and charismatic rockstar Prince, took the Super Bowl halftime stage by storm, literally. Singing all his greatest hits as well as covering the Foo Fighters, “Best of You,”  this performance is packed with amazing vocal and guitar performances from the late Prince. Finishing his set with the great “Purple Rain” as it simultaneously poured from the heavens into the stadium, is a moment guaranteed to give you chills.

Beyonce shuts down the superbowl.

Queen Bey headlined the Super Bowl back in 2013 and man are we all glad she did. Arguably the best performance any Super Bowl stadium has seen. From her strong and powerful vocals to her captivating dance moves, to a Destiny’s Child reunion, Beyonce gave us all what we paid for, and a little bit extra. After this performance the stadium had a blackout,I have reason to believe Beyonce was responsible for that. 

Beyonce at the superbowl, AGAIN!

During the 50th Super Bowl Beyonce made her second appearance at the halftime showperforming her empowering anthem ‘Formation.’ Beyonce annihilated the stage once again, this time bringing awareness to social issues such as police brutality and the black lives matter movement.

Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime Controversy.

Janet Jackson brought the Rhythm Nation to the halftime show alongside Justin Timberlake. People would only talk about the last 30 seconds of the performance, after Janet suffered a wardrobe malfunction leaving her breast exposed on national television. Due to this Ms. Jackson’s grammy invitation was revoked and was banned from performing that year.

The most random line-up?

The 00’s were a really weird year weren’t they? To prove so take a look at a the 2001 Super Bowl halftime show that featured, Aerosmith, NSync, Britney Spear, Mary J. Blige and Nelly? Weird I know but the energy onstage was right. Everybody was doing their own thing and totally rocking out, and nothing clashed despite the very different genres all these artist represent. It all just works in the end.

Michael Jackson begins Halftime show trend.

Back in 1993, the King of Pop came out with a show-stopping and legendary performance that would cement how we see the halftime show today. Before Michael Jackson, Super Bowl performances veered more into marching bands and military solutes. The great Michael Jackson came on to the Super Bowl stage and made it looked like his own concert was being televised. Ever since then, everyone who takes on the Super Bowl comes out with an extravagant and energetic performance thanks to the late Michael Jackson.

Whitney Houston invents the national anthem.

I suppose that headline is a bit of a reach, considering the national anthem was written by John Stafford Smith and well this isn’t technically a halftime moment. However, when Ms Houston sang the Star Spangled Banner back in 1991 at Super Bowl XXV, you’d probably believe she did invent that song. If the roar of the band isn’t enough to get you exited, Whitney’s own instrument will. Her voice is very precise and technical one moment and then will hit you with these amazing belts that soar despite the loud band behind her. By far the best rendition of the song and no one has been able to do it justice ever since. .

Lady Gaga jumps from the Edge of Glory.

In 2017, Stephanie Germanotta aka Lady Gaga took over the Super Bowl halftime show with the star quality one would expect from mother monster. Giving us great visuals, Lady Gaga shined as she performed her biggest hits. The best part however was the beginning of her performance which started at the top of the stadium. After giving her own rendition of “God Bless America/This Land is your Land,” Gaga proceeds to jump off the roof of the stadium onto the Super Bowl stage.

MIA greets the American Public.           

Madonna performed at the superbowl back in 2012 and brought a lot of guests. From Cee Lo Green, LMFAO, to a whole choir to perform “Like a Prayer” with her. Madonna even brought Nicki Minaj and MIA out to the stage during her performance of her latest hit at the time, “Give me all Your Luvin.” Everything was going great until MIA finished her verse, turned to the camera and gave the middle finger. Madonna, queen of controversy, outished by someone else’s controversy during her own performance. Tragic.

Left shark can’t dance.

Finally the best for last, Met with great visuals, bad costumes and mediocre vocals, Katy Perry Headlines 2015’s Super Bowl halftime show. Unfortunately Katy fell short as the star of the show in the middle of her performance when she performed her hit “California Gurls” with some background help. Here come the infamous sharks. At first it was cute, then you realize that one is a little off. You laugh but feel a little bad and you’re hoping he’ll find the timing and get with the rhythm…but he doesn’t. Hilarious nonetheless and it made for good TV.