Review: The Disaster Artist

Emiliano Soto, A & E Editor

Two time Golden Globe recipient, James Franco, known for his roles in 127 hours well as the racy Spring Breakers, embarks on the role of Tommy Wiseau, the creator of the cult classic ‘The Room.’  Disaster Artist is an autobiography and recreation of the events that took place during the filming of the movie. So let’s just call it a biopic. In this biopic we follow Greg Sestero, an actor with very few acting and confidence skills. He is Introduced to the confident, weird and sometimes creepy Tommy Wiseau during an acting class. Tommy becomes Greg’s mentor and they both decide to move to Los Angeles to pursue a much more serious acting career.

Initially when I went to see this movie I wasn’t really excited. I’m not really a big James Franco fan and the thought of him playing the role of the great Tommy Wiseau was a little jarring to me. However, my friends really wanted to see it because it featured the Franco brothers so I thought “What the hell, why not?”

I’ve seen The Room once before watching Disaster Artist, at this theater in North Park that does midnights showings of popular cult classics. So I was going into this movie feeling somewhat familiar with the material I was about to watch.

So I sit in between my friends, not one of them knowing anything about Tommy Wiseau, The Room or anything. We sit the movie starts and the movie is awful. Good awful, it was purposefully awful. I found myself laughing hysterically with most of my group while the other one fell asleep. It was interesting to see the two different reactions because like I said the majority of my group was laughing and completely entertained, while the other one wasn’t. I found it amusing how opposite yet similar their reactions were. On one hand my friend was laughing but, he was laughing because of the bizarre and over the top acting and how confusing the movie was overall. While my other friend couldn’t even keep her eyes open 20 minutes into the film. Which made me think of how that’s the only way I would describe this movie. A polarizing one. It’s not for everyone. Your emotions would/could vary through the entirety of this movie. But I would recommend it to anyone. Because overall Disaster Artist featured great acting, hilarious and over the top dialogue, as well as great shots and recreations of the original movie. There’s even a part during the credits where they do a side by side of both scenes from The Room and Disaster Artist contrast each other. Also not to mention that it’s based on the making of the movie that got fame unintentionally over how terribly funny it was, so there is that.

Unfortunately this movie got snubbed from the Oscardo due to recent speculations of sexul misconduct coming from James’ Franco. Its a s shame that the academy is no longer evaluating the content of film rather the character of James Franco.