Goodbye Good Boy

Kiara, Stevenson

The time seniors have been dreading has finally come. From the moment we picked them, their tiny paws pressed up against the jail like bars of the kennel, or the way they turned their head to look at you while all the other pups in the litter barked and ran around, or even the way they turned onto their bellies to let you pet them when you crouched down just to let them sniff you. Now it’s time for you to pack up everything you love and need for college, except them.

Seniors, some of you have had your dogs for your entire lives. Of course there were frustrating moments when you were training them and they peed RIGHT NEXT to their potty-training pads, but you practically raised them. Now when they whimper at the sight of you leaving through your front door, it won’t just be for eight hours. It’ll be for months. You’ll get your sweet pup fix from FaceTime videos and brief home visits. Sure there will be days, maybe even weeks, when you don’t think about them while you’re away at school. Instead you’ll be focused on all the last minute assignments you have to turn in, the parties you’ve been dying to go to all week, or the really cute guy or gal that’s in the library everyday that you’ll go sit near and pretend to study for until you work up the nerve to start an actual conversation. But then it will hit you that your furry friend won’t be in your dorm to curl up next to you after your long day and night and instead you’ll have to rely on that $1.00 cup noodle to comfort you. While you’re gone you’ll have missed your dog running away in attempt to find you, or they tear up one of your stuffed animals in revenge, they’ll mope around and sleep in your room while you’re gone and finally they accept the five minute walks your parents or siblings take them on and the brief  games of fetch.

“The first week was really rough. Not only was I super bored but, I was lonely. I have two dogs and I think about them all the time! Every night before I go to sleep I think about my babies. It sucks because even though I’m not that far away, I’m only home once or twice a month and I wish they could just live in their dorm with me. Once I move into an apartment next school year I’m definitely bringing one of them with me.” Nicole Pinto, a freshman at UC Irvine, shared her dog withdrawal experience.

Carissa Puentes and Cristina Guerrero, both seniors this year, expressed their discontentment for their future departures.

Puentes and Guerrero stated that after having their dogs for three and four years, having pets did actually teach them the responsibility of caring for a living thing that’s dependent on you and that it requires a lot of patience and priority.

“I know that even when I leave they’ll be in good hands. My mom loves my dog just as much as I do if not more.” said Guerrero, who felt secure in her decision to leave her dog.

“I’d like to think Blondie’s [her dog] basic needs would be taken care of, but I know that they won’t take him on walks or make sure that he’s always happy and gets plenty of exercise like I do. It makes me kind of hesitant to leave home.” Puentes commented, feeling that her family doesn’t exactly match her love for their dog.

Both students said that they’d only been away from their pets for about one to two weeks if any at all.

With all your dignity and without melting into a puddle of tears: shake their paw, give them one last belly rub and blow them a kiss goodbye. Leaving your dog may hurt like nothing you’ve ever experienced, but you have your own life and as sad as it is to realize, they will have theirs after you’re gone but, oh man the reunion is going to be the most dramatic and slow motion experience you’ll feel in your life.