Black History Month

Markus Garrett, Features Editor

Black History Month, or National African American History Month, is an annual celebration of achievements by black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.  

The coverage of Black History Month is minimalized in our society. The importance of Black History Month should be emphasized more in the scope of society and media because of the unstable political atmosphere the public is in, the necessity for tolerance, and to educate those unaware of the value African Americans have brought to our country.  

It has made the African American community uneasy to see the extreme commentary from their own president; with vulgar statements concerning other minorities and ethnicities such as Mexican Americans, the LGBTQ, and many others. Not to mention the police brutality cases that have been occurring nationwide, having more awareness brought to black people’s history is necessary. 

To make this country a safe place for all the communities it’s important to recognize this time of the year as a celebration. 

Also, the importance of tolerance in our country is immense because we have so many diverse cultures, ethnicities, and religions that without it society is chaos.  

Discrimination as most of the public knows is still present in our day to day lives. Unfortunately, in recent events, the Ku Klux Klan has had several rallies attacking minorities while, delivering a message of intolerance and white superiority.  

However, the media and society bringing more attention to Black History Month and its celebration may help lessen the hate that is being created. 

Often to celebrate the month, people learn more about the exceptional contributions made by African Americans each day of Black History Month. There are calendars and other programs that for each day of February recognize the heritage, accomplishments, and culture of blacks in the United States.  

It is crucial that these concepts are emphasized to create a feeling of appreciation and acceptance for the African American community, where in normal instances would be none. 

For example, black people have contributed innovations such as the three-signal traffic light, the mailbox, the blood bank, refrigerated trucks, 3-D special effects, gas masks, and most importantly peanut butter. And there are countless other inventions that African Americans do not receive credit for. 

Overall, the month of February should be advertised even more intensely; essentially, for the recognition, tolerance, and acceptance of the black community