Adopt, Don’t Shop

Photo of the Chula Vista Animal Care Facility

Cristina Sandoval, Staff Reporter

Every year, about 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are put to sleep in the United States because the shelters are overpopulated and there’s too few people who consider adoption when looking for a pet.

This number could be greatly reduced if more people adopted pets from their local animal shelter instead of buying them from a local pet store. When you adopt, you rescue an animal full of love and happiness and make room in the shelter for another animal who might desperately need it.

Dogs are lovable bunches of fur that just want to be loved and be part of a family. Millions of them sit in shelters waiting for their perfect owner to walk-in and take them away to a caring and devoted family, where they can finally be at a home.

Yet, some people decide they can take advantage of these poor creatures by selling them for very expensive prices.

According to Best Friends Animal Society, “Buying a pet can easily cost $500 to $1,000 or more. Adoption costs range from $50 to $200, depending on whether the pet comes from the city shelter or a rescue group that has spent money on boarding, vets and grooming.”

Luckily, there are many shelters available where adopting a friend is easy for a cheap and reasonable price.

According to the Humane Society of the United States, “Usually when you adopt a pet, the cost of spay/neuter, first vaccinations (and sometimes even microchipping!) is included in the adoption price, which can save you some of the upfront costs of adding a new member to your family.”

Also, people who are considering adopting don’t have to worry about housebreaking and training expenses because most of the dogs in shelters are already house trained, according to PETA. In addition, if they adopt, they get any choices in age while buying a pet lessens their chances of picking what age their new dog is going to be, according to the Humane Society.

Another reason to adopt dogs is the shelter will help the new owner with any questions or concerns they may have in helping the dog and family adjust to the new addition.

According to the Best Friends Animal Society, “Once you walk out of the store, you are on your own. Most pet stores don’t provide any support if you have questions or problems with your new pet. When you adopt, especially from a rescue group, you know what you are getting because the group has a history on the animal. The rescue group will also help you through the familiarization period because they are invested in providing a good home for that animal.”

Dogs not only become one of a person’s best friends, but as well as improve their life emotionally, physiologically and physically, according to the Humane Society. Even better, when they fully adjust to your home, they give you unconditional love, a sense of purpose and fulfillment.

In addition to all these reasons why adopting a dog is better than buying one is it is one way to get rid of puppy mills once and for all.

Puppy mills are establishments that breed puppies in factories, and when a person buy a dog from a pet store, online seller, or flea market they are most likely from a puppy mill. In these puppy mills, dogs are housed in shockingly poor house conditions with improper medical care that end up being very sick or behaviorally troubled.

According to the Humane Society, “The moms of these puppies are kept in cages to be bred over and over for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever joining a family. And after they’re no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded—either killed, abandoned or sold at auction.”

The only reason these mills stay open is because of “deceptive tactics” the mills use such as drawing in unsuspecting customers who shop in pet stores and online ads. These mills will stay open until people stop supporting them.

Not to worry though because one way people can help stop this horrible organization is to adopt a dog from a local animal shelter. All the money a person pays for an adoption goes straight back to the animal shelter to help the shelter take in more dogs and treat them well before they go off to their forever family.

In the end, adopting a dog is better than buying one because it is a way to fight puppy mills, cheaper than buying a pet, and lastly, the person and the dog will be happy.