Off Campus Lunch

Photo taken from Google

Photo taken from Google

Photo taken from Google

Abby Galdamez, Staff Reporter

Many students, especially high school students, would jump at the chance to leave school in the middle of the day for an off-campus lunch period. Students at Otay don’t have that opportunity. All students must stay on campus for lunch and eat what the school provided for them or what they buy or bring themselves. Students deserve to be trusted enough to eat lunch and return to school on time. They deserve off-campus lunches. Seniors especially should have the privilege of having off campus lunch.

The choice of having a free sixth period was taken away for seniors. It would be fair to at least give them the option to leave for lunch and come back for class. Having a sixth period angered many students who since freshman year dreamt of being able to go home early. Going home early meant having more time do catch up on homework, workout, spend time with family or friends or even get a job. All that was taken away. Seniors should be the ones allowed to leave for lunch to makeup as compensation for having a sixth. Not to mention that all previous senior classes had the option of not having a sixth.

“I was so disappointed to find out we wouldn’t have a free sixth because I’ve been looking forward to this since forever.” said Josh Lira, senior.

As seniors go into the stage of preparing for college responsibility is one of the most important skills to nurture. Leaving campus means having to come back. In college, it is the students choice whether or not to get out of bed and attend class. There is no clearing an absence in college, students either go to class learn the material to pass or fail the class. The same will be for Seniors if they are granted off campus lunch. It will be a test of responsibility that will prove if they are truly ready for college life.

If students are constantly not returning to go to their sixth period, those students will simply not be able to go off campus anymore. It would be a privilege that could be taken away if the student is not on track academically.

There is always the issue of safety when going off campus. Lunch rush can be dangerous, especially if teens race to get to wherever they decide to eat or go home and back to school on time. Students need to be responsible for their own actions. Teens with a license know the rules of the road and follow them. A waiver would be available that would hold all students accountable for anything that could occur off campus.

Off campus lunch will give students a sense of freedom and responsibility. Plus they deserve to be trusted for 45 minutes as most seniors will be graduating as adults.