Logan Paul’s Scandal

Logan Paul in his original video

Logan Paul in his original video "We Found a Dead Body in the Japanese Suicide Forest"

Jazzy Tompkins, Staff Reporter

On Dec. 31, 2017, Logan Paul uploaded a video to his 15 million subscribers titled “We found a dead body in the Japanese Suicide Forest.” The video was initially intended to be part three ofhis “Tokyo Adventures,” the group had planned to camp in the woods, but came upon the recently deceased corpse of a man who had committed suicide in Aokigahara at the base of Mount Fuji in Japan. Paul should be banned from YouTube and other social media. He doesn’t deserve his fame, or his followers, or money or just anything. He crossed the line and yet he is still getting everything he wants. The other thing that bothered me was that he thought it was okay to show a dead body but had to bleep out the curse words in the video because that was more vulgar than a dead body. It’s disgusting and it should have never been uploaded, even if it was to make a difference in suicide prevention and clearly it didn’t. His career should end.

In response to finding the corpse, the group decided to notify the authorities and cancel their plans. Paul’s video gained 6.3 million views within 24 hours of being uploaded and reached No. 10 on YouTube’s trending list.

Japan has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world. Aokigahara forest specifically has a reputation in Japan, and internationally, as a destination for people who want to commit suicide. Data on the number of suicides there each year is not made public, to avoid publicizing the site. Signs are posted in the forest urging people to seek medical help rather than taking their own lives. In 2010, the police recorded more than 200 people having attempted suicide in the forest, of whom 54 completed the act.

Paul gained nearly 100k followers after the suicide video. Why were people subscribing to him after he uploaded and when he took it down? His YouTube channel has been growing ever since the video. In the video, Paul and his friends were laughing and making jokes about the deceased corpse of a man and mocking people who committed suicide before that man. His video was trending and people were trying to get Paul’s attention for him to take the video down and try to get YouTube to take it off. When he was recording the day before to the next day, why didn’t he cut out that part when he and his friends found the deceased man? He goes back and edits his video to make them shorter or take out certain parts he didn’t need after all, but he decided to leave that part in. After they discovered the deceased corpse of a man, why didn’t Paul immediately stop recording or why didn’t his friends telling him to stop recording?

According to the DailyMail, Paul was removed from the original YouTube comedy series Foursome and has been taken down from Google Preferred. YouTube had taken a while to respond to the whole incident. They were also was criticized for not responding quick enough to the video and responded with a statement 11 days later.

“Additionally, we will not feature Logan in Season 4 of Foursome and his new originals are on hold,” said a spokesman.

Paul apologized the next day by uploading a statement, saying he should have never have posted the video and should have stopped filming altogether and his intentions were to raise awareness for suicide and suicide prevention. He also uploaded a video to his channel, “So Sorry” which has over 48 million views along with 2 million dislikes and increased his subscribers to over 16 million.

“I’ve made a severe and continuous lapse of my judgment and I don’t expect to be forgiven. I’m simply here to apologize,” said Paul in his video.

After Paul’s video was uploaded, he immediately got criticized and hate. Most of the time, anyone can see what was uploaded to the internet but you also can’t assume that person had permission to watch that video. YouTubers are known for “clickbait” but the way Paul titled his video, he already messed that up because now he could have potentially have a little kid who may or may not know anything about suicide and they are watching Paul and his friends laughing and making jokes about a person who just took their own life and now they think it’s okay to do that. Once something is uploaded to the internet, you are letting anyone see or watch what you decide to say or show and have yet have no intentions or purpose to why you would upload a video about a person who just committed suicide.