Culture Night

Markus Garrett, Features Editor

Culture night is an annual event that happens at Otay Ranch High School’s auditorium. This year, it is being hosted by the Bayanihan Filipino Club, previously hosted by the KIWINs club. Auditions were held January 30, 31 and Feb. 1.

“They had a judges table, with four desks sitting down. They were recording on a tablet while filling out score sheets that were that we didn’t even get to see, but it was fun overall,” said Kiara Stevenson, Culture Night Participant.

Although there are a series of performances with groups such as baile folklorico, mariachi, surreal fidelity, show choir, choir, all male dance team and nani girls, individual performances are encouraged.

Advisors were looking for poems, songs, instrumental pieces, yodels, raps, dances and many more.

“Performing last year was nice. The crowd was very supportive and clapped along to the songs. I was so happy to be there and I can’t wait for this one since it will be my last time performing at culture night,” said Noreen Arroyo, ORHS senior.

All-male is one of Culture Nights returning performer groups.

“I thinks it’s cool I get to share my talent with my friends and the rest of the school. It’s important that we have a culture night to emphasize the different communities at Otay, and I like incorporating Philippine dances into our regular choreography,” said Kevin Nierva, All Male captain.

Ticket prices are priced $5 presale and $7 at the door.