National Youth Science Camp

On January 17, The California Department of Education established the National Youth Science Camp. The program is now accepting applications for dedicated and science-involved students interested in the residential lodge.

The program is run by the National Youth Science Foundations, which offers a no cost round trip air passage to two deserving graduating high school students that meet certain requirements.

To be considered as an applicant one must be a graduate between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018, show superior academic skills with recognition in mathematics and/or sciences, demonstrate their use of leadership abilities and social maturity with school and their community and illustrate their accomplishments and skills outside the academic world with a curiosity to explore varied topics.

“I believe the program is good in the sense that it nourishes the pursuit of knowledge. Also, that it would be so widespread around the country,” said Jorge Ma Suy. “On the other hand, it might be hurtful for those that are interested in the activities that come with that program, but do not meet the requirements that are set. However, if this program were brought to our campus I would recommend it to my students.”

As part of the NYSC program, various scientist from across the nation present lectures and hands-on science seminars and linger to interact with student delegates. Delegates are dealt with new areas to explore in the biological and physical science, arts and music