2012 Winter Formal Court.

2012 Winter Formal Court.

2012 Winter Formal Court.

No Winter Formal…Again

December 11, 2017

Despite there only being three main events for everyone on campus annually, Otay Ranch High School students will have to deal with having two this year. Winter formal is a dance typically occurring between homecoming and prom. At Otay, the dance has been canceled in the past due to lack of ticket sales.

The junior class currently hosts the winter formal as a fundraising event. According to Mendel Nafarrete, the Associated Student Body (ASB) gave the dance to the junior class as a way to raise money before going into their costly senior year.

“We gave it to them because there aren’t that many opportunities for everyone to fundraise,” said Nafarrete.

Winter formal is a way for students to socialize outside of classes, to connect as people and not just as students, and an opportunity to get to know those you wouldn’t i

n class. It increases school spirit and gets students excited about school. For freshman who are still getting to know the school to seniors who want some more fun before they go off to college.

Ranch Review File Photo
2014 Winter Formal Court.

“I had a really fun time [my freshman year] because it was with friends and we were dancing. I think it’s best to go as a freshman because you need to experience everything high school has to offer,” said Emiliano Gomez, ORHS alum.

When the dance is canceled, it has an effect of the spirit and excitement of the students. Students are missing out on a chance to enjoy themselves for not buying enough tickets.

“Since I was nominated my sophomore year [for the court] it was very special to me, and made my experience more enjoyable,” said Carissa Arevalo, ORHS senior. “When they canceled it last year, I was really bummed out because I wanted to make more memories my junior year.”

The last winter formal Otay held was in the 2015-2016 school year in the gym, considered successful compared to previous years. The dance was canceled due to the high risk of financial loss in 2008 because of students boycotting the formal’s regulations on dancing, according to an article from the sixth volume of The Ranch Review. Winter Formal canceled Again states that “the administration and ASB had never intended to hold a Winter Formal since the beginning of the school year.” Jose Brosz, in the article,

2012 Winter Formal Court members at the Winter Assembly.

said that the inappropriate dancing was the issue that led to no plans for the dance.

In the 2009-2010, the newspaper held a decade dance in the pavilion to raise money, giving students another opportunity to come together. This dance occurred again in the 2010-2011 school year before the ticket minimum in the 2012-2013 school year prevented it from happening. This meant that another chance for students to join as friends was shut down.

In the 2012-2013 school year, Otay hosted the winter formal at the San Diego Air and Space Museum to fit the theme “Fly Me to the Moon.” This dance had a low attendance rate, leading to the institution of the rule that 200 tickets must be sold within a certain time period. According to the ninth volume of The Ranch Review, it broke a two year streak of having the dance at the gym, much to the disappointment of the students.

From the first dance in the 2003-2004 school year until this year, Otay has only had eight winter formals.

The Ranch Review • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in