Football Season Comes to an End

Mustang Football made it to the third round of playoffs before losing to Ramona

Tyler Vu, Sports editor

The Otay Ranch Football team’s season ended after losing to Ramona 42-14 in the division 2 CIF Playoffs. Despite the tough loss this past Friday, the season was one of the program’s best in a while as the team scratched and claw every game to commemorate former principal Mr.Brosz.

After a rough season last year, the boys definitely experienced a resurgence to their program this year. From being a mediocre team to League Champions, the boys had a complete transformation from last year. The team came to a slow start with a record of 2-3 in the first quarter of their season. Many of these games were very close and came to the last second. However the boys persevered throughout the remainder of the season winning five games in a row even when the odds were stacked against them, according to assistant coach Judd Rachow.

“I think it was a great season,” said Rachow. “Despite the many injures and adversity we faced throughout this season, we overcame these obstacles. We had hope to move on to the championships, but nonetheless I had a great time coaching and proud to see these seniors mount their legacy here.”

According to Autele, this was one of the most memorable seasons of his 4-year tenure. The team defeated Eastlake on their homecoming game for a sold-out crowd and spoiled other school’s homecoming game such as Bonita. The boys also won the Battle of the O’s game against Olympian at home as well. With a 4-0 record in league, the Mustangs became the Metro Mesa League Champions, giving them the fourth seed in the CIF playoffs and a first round bye. They would eventually go on to the second round and defeat the Lincoln Hornets in a physical game, 49-26.

“I think we did well this season,” said Autele. “Throughout this season, no one believed we could define these odds, but we did. All the seniors and juniors really stepped it up this season and we knew this season was going to be important for us to honor Mr. Brosz.”

Many of the senior players had a memorable experience in this program during their high school career. Learning a lot of techniques and experiences from the coaches here, the boys will definitely carry these with them as they move on to a new path.

“I know this season was the last season of football for many of the senior players,” said Autele. “But for some of the seniors and me, we will hope to continue playing football in college. I feel like I’m not ready to step away from the game I love so dearly and I know many of the seniors feel the same way.”

According to Rachow, this year proved how much unity this team possesses. The boys were never discouraged from a loss and always got right back up each week. As a result, the team put up a fulfilling season this year. Next year, the team will be forced to move on from their veteran players and rebuild this squad with their young talent according to Rachow.

“I’m confident that we can have another successful next year,” said Rachow. “Currently we have some juniors who have stepped it this season for us as well as some talented JV players who having been waiting for this opportunity.”

With many of their key players moving on to a new journey, this young team hopes to have a promising season next year and reach the CIF’s Championships.